Kegerator cooling below set-point differential (Inkbird ITC-310 & Love TSX-10140)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-DUBB

Reaction score
Hi Guys! I'm having the weirdest issue with my keg...and I cant quite figure it out.

For some odd reason, my kegerator is cooling 2-4 degrees below the set-point differential. This just started recently.
Both probes are placed in a cup of water. I've taken them out the water to adjust to ambient temp, same issue.

Anyone have a clue what could be causing this? Is it time for another chest freezer?

I'm about to purchase a brewer's edge space heater for the Inkbird...maybe that'll help out.

Is your kegerator shutting off when it reaches the set point, and it just overshoots and things continue to cool down after, or is it not stopping at your set point and the kegerator stays powered on until it gets 2-4 degrees past your set point?

Pretty sure it'd be a first to read of a freezer being tossed because it cooled too well.

First thing to do is get a trusted thermometer to calibrate the probes...

Cheers!

Is your kegerator shutting off when it reaches the set point, and it just overshoots and things continue to cool down after, or is it not stopping at your set point and the kegerator stays powered on until it gets 2-4 degrees past your set point?

i dont know. it seems as if the temp probe doesn't catch up, once the kegerator shuts off.

example: set-point set to 64/differential @ 2
kegerator reaches 66, kegerator powers on..
kegerator shuts off, temp display is @ 63.5 and continues to fall to 59.2
im guessing its shutting off @ 62 degrees.
maybe the coolant lines are causing the temps to fall below the diff?
im clueless because this just started happening.

Pretty sure it'd be a first to read of a freezer being tossed because it cooled too well.

First thing to do is get a trusted thermometer to calibrate the probes...

Cheers!

LOL. yeah...that may just be it. I need to pick up a digital thermometer and calibrate to see if that works.

Did the adjustment knob on your freezer get moved? I know when I've set my chest freezers up that I had to change them to their lowest (as in warmest) setting, otherwise it would overshoot my temp every time.

For example, I started on my highest (coldest) setting and did some tests. Every time it would cool down to 40F (my set point), the freezer would shut off, and then it would keep cooling down another 2-3 degrees.

Once I changed to to its lowest setting (warmest temp) this stopped happening.

Did the adjustment knob on your freezer get moved? I know when I've set my chest freezers up that I had to change them to their lowest (as in warmest) setting, otherwise it would overshoot my temp every time.

For example, I started on my highest (coldest) setting and did some tests. Every time it would cool down to 40F (my set point), the freezer would shut off, and then it would keep cooling down another 2-3 degrees.

Once I changed to to its lowest setting (warmest temp) this stopped happening.

i've always knob on the highest setting. i've had my kegerator for 3.5 years and it just now started to overshoot temps.
i will turn the dial to the halfway (or to the warmest) setting and see if that helps.

Take the probe(s) out of the water, and leave them hanging in the air. It takes longer for the water to reach the setpoint than the air in box. With the probe in water, the air temp will drop below the setpoint before the compressor turns off. Then the water will continue to cool until the air and water temps come to equilibrium. Thus the water undershoots the set point.

A change in the amount of temperature undershoot could be the result of significant changes to the amount of beer in the box.

Brew on :mug:

Back