Kegerator balancing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlawlyes

Reaction score
I have intertap flow control faucets with 3/16" bev seal tubing. One on tap I have 20' of line and must restrict the faucet about 3/4 of the way down (or extreme foam), on another faucet I have 24' of line and the pour is pretty slow even at wide open on FC. Both beers are on the same regulator currently set @ 10 psi. I'd say its about 30 seconds to pour a pint. Does this sound right?

30 seconds is a hella slow pour. By contrast, I set my lines up for 9-10 seconds for a 12 ounce pour.

The Bev Seal Ultra 235 line is actually 1/5" ID - not 3/16" - plus the PET liner is smoother than typical solid PVC lines. Combined, it's not atypical to need ~18 feet of line for ~11-12 psi.

But 24 feet is crazy long, especially with an FC faucet (the utility of which in your case seems vanishingly small). I would be looking for something that's causing the foam other than the line. Overcarbed keg? Lines getting warm? Keg poppet clogged? Etc...

Cheers!

That Mike Soltys calculator is very good. I've also just started using the Kegland flow control liquid disconnect from William's Brewing. I never had luck with flow control faucets, they just seemed to exacerbate the foam problem, apparently because they introduce turbulence right at the point where there ceases to be any further restriction. Putting the flow control at the keg instead seems to give better results. Also this can allow for much shorter lines as the line is not required to provide all the restriction needed to balance the system.

When using the calculator what do you use for roughness on the bev seal tubing? I know the resistance is less than vinyl tubing, but could never find an exact number. Those ball lock connectors are interesting, I may end up trying one eventually.

Back