Keg Type Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
I've got a line on three 5 gal Corny kegs. The owner says he has fittings for both ball and pin. My question is, are the kegs themselves interchangeable? In other words, what makes a keg a pin lock or a ball lock, the fittings, which you can remove, or is pin/ball built into the keg's body itself? Thanks

I haven't looked at it lately, but I thought the fittings were formed into the top of the keg. There are conversions you can get. Maybe it is something that can be removed/replaced... Not sure.

The fittings can be removed and replaced usually with more hardware. You need to match what gas line connector is coming off of your regulator (if you have it already). If you dont have a regulator IMO I would go with PIN lock, it is getting very hard to find good inexpensive used Ball Lock kegs. However you can still find Pin Locks cheap about $20 less than Ball Locks

Ball vs Pin is the connector type for the gas an liquid posts. These can be changed as the post is screwed on.

Due in part to the inherent height of pin lock connectors, a keg that was originally a pin lock will be slightly shorter and wider that a keg that started life as a ball lock.

Take a quick look at any assembly/cleaning web page to get a better idea of what to expect in the components of a keg.
http://m.wikihow.com/Assemble-a-Cornelius-Keg

Back