keg to keg transfer - avoiding gunk layer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrewski

Reaction score
I have a temp controlled freezer in my garage, it's a keezer but without the taps. I store all my newly kegged beer out there to carb up. To go to an event recently I transferred from the aged keg to a clean empty so I would not stir up all the settled gunk in transport. Worked great! Now I have started to think I want to do this will all my kegs. So here is my question: what is the best way of knowing when the original keg is about empty? If I wait too long, it spews gunk at the very end. Anyone else have techniques to avoid this?

If the original keg is chilled, you can get a good idea on how close you are to filling the new keg by the condensation line. When I think it's getting close, I start watching like a hawk and try to be quick with the 'quick disconnect' removal. I just purchased a filter kit to try on my next brew I want to travel with, for just that reason.

Maybe I will make a new beer line "jumper". My current one is only a couple of feet long, I get almost no reaction time with that short of a connection. Also, I really need to set aside some time to cut off all my dip tubes at least a half inch. I never seem to get around to doing it because they always have beer in them. I think both those things would be beneficial.

Longer hose between kegs (EDIT: damn work getting in the way and holding up my reply until after you have the idea for yourself!:D) I have picnic taps to serve at the moment and I know when I am about to get a glass full of junk (and it is usually when my glass is 3/4 full!) by the rumbling sound. If you had a long enough hose you could put you new keg on some scales (tare them if you can) once the get over 16 kg you will know you are getting close so be ready to whip that QD off when you hear the gurgle

Latest posts

Back