keg tapping frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashed29

Reaction score
so i got a used kegerator. flushed the line 5x with blc and 5x with water before starting. got me a starter 15 gal miller light, b/c its semi decent and cheap and i knew i might have trouble. So, tapped it tried the co2 at max, foamed up like a mother, then turned it down, almost all the way, barely on at all. but still getting really foamy beer without much carbonation.

Any ideas?

Can you be more specific what you mean by "tried CO2 at max?" Do you know specifically what PSI that was? If you overcarboned the keg, it will take some time to stabilize.

crashed29 said:
so i got a used kegerator. flushed the line 5x with blc and 5x with water before starting. got me a starter 15 gal miller light, b/c its semi decent and cheap and i knew i might have trouble. So, tapped it tried the co2 at max, foamed up like a mother, then turned it down, almost all the way, barely on at all. but still getting really foamy beer without much carbonation.

Any ideas?

about 3 feet, see pic. my gauges on the co2 dont appear to be working. but when i say barely on, i mean, 1/8th of a turn on the tank itself.

Are you sure that your lines are balanced?
Foam usually appears with short lines and high ID.

You want your regulator to be dispensing gas at a pressure to equalize the carbonation pressure. There are several places that you can find your Volumes/temp and pressure calculations. At serving pressures the beer will come out of the lines really fast and as a result knock the CO2 out of solution and hence foamy beer. Longer lines and smaller inner diameter lines will add resistance to slow the serving rate of the beer to keep the CO2 in solution and as a result you get less foam.

Most homebrewers go with 10 foot lines as at normal serving pressures it slows dispensing down to the reccomended rate and reduces foam. Basically you want that balance between pressure on the keg to maintain carbonation and dispensing rate to make your beer all it can be.

crashed29 said:
about 3 feet, see pic. my gauges on the co2 dont appear to be working. but when i say barely on, i mean, 1/8th of a turn on the tank itself.

Can you give us an idea of your system from tank to tap?
You should have a pressure regulator on your tank (or down stream of it) that you should use to control the pressure. The valve on the tank itself should be full open or full close, and a regulator should control the pressure to the keg.

Back