Keg storage without gas line.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnycrk

Reaction score
Hello all. I filled two kegs tonight but only have one gas line. Once both kegs were filled I applied 30 psi and put them in the fridge. Is it OK if one sits for a few day until I get a manifold distributer?

Yep. Not a problem. Not sure why you put in 30psi, but as long as you purged them after filling, they'll keep for a long time in a cool space.

You know I really don't know why I did either. So as in purging you mean adding some gas and letting some out, right?

Yeah, just hit the kegs with 10 psi or so and then pull the relief valve. Repeat 3 or 4 times to make sure you get all the oxygen. After than you can store them for a while before you pop them in the frige and carb them. I actually hit my kegs with 20-30 psi before I cellar them. It seals them up nice and tight. Isn't going to hurt anything.

Honestly, this is basically how my system works. I have two kegs in two different mini fridges in separate rooms... but I only have one CO2 tank and regulator. When I rack a new beer to a keg I'll purge with CO2, hit it with 30psi, and go back basically every day for four or five days and hit it with 30psi again. When it's carbonated, I'll go back every two or three days and give it 10-12psi or wherever I wanted it to be in the first place.

Yes, it's a non-ideal way to do it. But it does work. Once I move to a place where I can have a single fridge/freezer that can hold more than one keg I'll upgrade with a manifold system. But for now it works.

It's fine to leave them sit without gas being hooked up so long as you purged them with CO2 after racking. I do it all the time for lagering or just waiting on a keezer spot. If you can swing it, having a separate tank/reg/coupler for purging is very nice.

Back