keg storage / tap alteration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydnly5

Reaction score
i have a small kegerator single tap right now. i keep the co2 tank inside the fridge and with a sixtel it takes all of the available space in there. I want to start having multiple batches going at one time, but i am curious how to store the kegs. If i were to force carbonate a corny keg for 3 days, can i just unhook it from the gas and store in my basement until i am ready to use it or does not need to be continuously hooked up to the gas?

secondly, i think i could get two sixtels in there if i put the co2 tank behind the fridge, what would be involved in converting my single tap into a double tap (if this is possible).

in hindsight, i wish i would have bought a regular refrigerator instead of buying a kegerator.

i have attached two photos of my current set up.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

First: once the beer is carbonated to your spec's, you can unhook and store elsewhere until your ready for it of course leak free and it should be fine and wont loose any carbonation

Second: It will be possible to get another keg in there you just have to "drill" a hole for the gas line to go into the kegger from the outside. Just have to move the tank outside. You might have to get another tower but you can probably modify it some how to attach another one.

this kegerator already has the hole to run the gas line so that part is done, I just need to figure out what parts I need to get to convert to a double tap.

No doubt you could build your own tower, either out of wood or PVC pipe. then you'd just need to buy your faucets, shanks, beer line and all the connecting parts. Plus you'll need a way to split the CO2, although if you aren't concerned about different pressures to kegs, that could just be a simple T Connection. I looked into building one myself, but my bar is very Chrome oriented, so I wanted a chrome tower and just decided the buy one. The price difference really wasn't all that big of a deal. I've seen Dual Perlick towers for around $150 online.

My only suggestion, I was going to go the two tap tower way myself. Until I decided to just go out and buy 3 kegs. I found out I could actually fit 3 of them in my kegerator so I went the 3 tap route.

Back