Keg size priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrtickel

Reaction score
Hello

Can anyone tell me does it matter on the size of the keg to how much priming sugar you use to prime the beer or is it you are just priming 5 gallons of beer no matter what size the keg is???

Its just i have a keg i got from a pub and its the half size keg that holds 40 to 45 pints and the gas i have is co2 and no2 mixed so i have to naturally prime the beer i cant force carb. and i use a cooler that the beer runs through to the tap.
The last beer i made was a coopers sparkling ale and used half the amount of priming sugar to carb the keg but after 3 weeks and i pulled a couple of pints the carbanation in the beer was not that great so i was just wondering should i have use more priming sugar to the size of the keg or style of the keg.

Ok a pint =16 oz 128ozs in a gallon. So you have 5 gallons, you prime in a keg the same way, size/shape do not matter your dealing with the liquid contained within. Most have found that about 1/3 cup works without overcarbing.....my .02

I used about 70g of priming sugar so i think it was more than 1/3 of the of what i use.
I do usually put 120g of priming sugar in when i bottle the beer well depending on the type of beer i make.
Maybe my tempature might of had something to do with the bad carbanation my beer was at 18c when carbing i couldn get it any higher so maybe thats my problem.

Latest posts

Back