Keg sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been drinking on a chocolate stout for a few days and I'm getting some sediment in my pints. I've probably poured a good 10 pints already and it's been sitting in the keg for 4 weeks.

This was my first extended primary beer, 4 week primary, 4 week keg. I transferred more trub than usual, but I would think by now the sediment would be gone. Short of modifying my dip tube, what should I do? The sediment is purely cosmetic, but I'm a perfectionist.

Try gelatin a couple days before the end of primary and cold temps. I take out my pick-up tubes and put slightly more bend in them over my knee which brings them a little higher off the bottom of the keg. These things combined equal clear beer even with dragging around to events/ bbq's and what not.

Haven't moved it in weeks. It's just a few floaties, but at the bottom of the glass you can see all the sediment, so I end up pouring out the last ounce.

Try gelatin a couple days before the end of primary and cold temps. I take out my pick-up tubes and put slightly more bend in them over my knee which brings them a little higher off the bottom of the keg. These things combined equal clear beer even with dragging around to events/ bbq's and what not.

Question about this.... could one add gelatin to the keg (already carbonated)? My beers are completely clear after sitting for a week or so... if I move them at all though, the sediment redistributes and voila, cloudy beer again. Will gelatin in a corny keg help this?

jamcclureuk said:
Question about this.... could one add gelatin to the keg (already carbonated)? My beers are completely clear after sitting for a week or so... if I move them at all though, the sediment redistributes and voila, cloudy beer again. Will gelatin in a corny keg help this?

I did this a few days ago for the first time seemed to work. But I haven't moved it yet.

I did this a few days ago for the first time seemed to work. But I haven't moved it yet.

Keep us posted....

Someone suggested that I just rack from one keg to another once everything is settled... This would work, but I greatly increase the time it take to clean by doubling the stuff I need to clean. Also, I'm only moving the keg about 50 feet. I don't want to have to clean an extra (Bright TAnk) just to move from garage to keg fridge.

Well I moved it and it did stir up quite a bit. But it seems to be getting clearer after only Three glasses. We will see I guess. Cheers

Im not completely sure that gelatin in an already carbonated beer will work all that great, but I've never tried it. You can do gelatin in the keg prior to carbonation then pull the gelatin out through the beer out line. Some say this works great and others say you get gelatin bits throughout the entire keg.

I've only used gelatin on carbed kegs - last resort for those beers that just won't clear - and it works great. Heat up your gelatin as described in other threads, slowly purge the pressure on the keg, open the lid, dump warm gelatin and and replace the lid quickly. Purge the keg a few times and reconnect the gas. Two days later, pull your first muddy pint, after that, enjoy very clear beer.

StoneHands said:
I've only used gelatin on carbed kegs - last resort for those beers that just won't clear - and it works great. Heat up your gelatin as described in other threads, slowly purge the pressure on the keg, open the lid, dump warm gelatin and and replace the lid quickly. Purge the keg a few times and reconnect the gas. Two days later, pull your first muddy pint, after that, enjoy very clear beer.

I did that. Maybe not enough Gel. I used one tbsp in one cup. Is that enough?

Probably should have been enough. I usually use half a Knox package heated (but not boiled) in a cup or two of water. I'm not overly precise on my measurements, and there aren't directions on the Knox package. I take a cup or two of cold water, dump half the package in and let it sit for a few minutes to rehydrate. Put it on the heat and stir until it turns clear, don't let it boil. I've heard gelatin can strip some taste/aroma out if you use too much, so perhaps less is better. I've never done a side by side comparison though, so I don't know for sure. Half a package for 5 gallons works good for me though.

Back