Keg Pressure Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmaratta

Reaction score
Good evening gents,

I kegged a 5 gallon batch of black IPA on Saturday afternoon (this was my first kegged batch ever). I waited 24 hours for the batch to get down to ~35 degrees F. At that point, I burst carbed at 20 PSI for about 5 minutes. I let it sit with dispensing pressure set to 10 PSI for an hour and tested the tap at that point. It worked well - I was actually surprised at the level of carbonation and tap flow that I had in front of me.

Tonight, or about 24 hours later, I went to pour a pint and I have zero tap pressure - beer drips slowly from the tap. Keg release valve shows some pressure still in keg and regulator still shows 10 psi. Not sure what to make of this - looks like the regulator is getting CO2 from the tank, but somehow, the keg isn't keeping a constant dispensing pressure.

Like I said - first batch kegged and I thought I understood the kegging process pretty thoroughly so now I'm a bit concerned that I have faulty equipment (though I don't notice any leaks)

Any insight? Thanks guys - appreciate this forum!

Paul

Paul

Maybe a clogged dip tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Could be - but as I add a bit more pressure, I get more beer. It just won't stay constant at my 10 psi setting. Hmm... I'll check the dip tube! Thanks for the insight.

Paul

Stupid question. Did you unhook the faucet?

If the faucet is connected and there is 0 pressure coming out we'll start at the co2 tank.

You said the regulator is getting pressure at 10psi. I'll assume that's true. Are all valves open going to the keg and no kinks in the lines? Make sure none got bumped. A partially closed ball valve could create odd pressure.

If all are open I'd unhook the gas end of the keg and check to make sure there was pressure going there. Or check the relief valve on the keg, there should be a lot of pressure coming out when you open it.

If the keg appears to be carbonated at 10 psi, unhook the faucet end. See if liquid flows through easily when it's off the keg.

If it does then your dip tube might be clogged. Did you transfer a lot of hops to the keg?

you mentioned the regulator's reading 10...presumably the valve between the regulator and the keg is open?

Along with checking the previously mentioned settings, I would check for leaks in your setup. Soapy water applied at all connections and seals. I use a spray bottle. If the water is bubbling anywhere its applied, you have a leak and are slowly loosing CO2.

Along with checking the previously mentioned settings, I would check for leaks in your setup. Soapy water applied at all connections and seals. I use a spray bottle. If the water is bubbling anywhere its applied, you have a leak and are slowly loosing CO2.

No leaks... Checked with foamy star san spray.

After reconfiguring a bit, seems like I'm getting better pressure now. I'll monitor and see how this progresses. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Paul

Paul

Update: came home tonight and attempted to pour a pint after assuming I fixed this issue two nights ago by hitting it with a little more pressure and burst carbing for an additional 1-2 min (I had previously burst carbed at 20 psi for 5 min on Sunday). Beer came out of the tap like a rocket and was all foam. Opened the door to the kegerator and there was beer dripping down the side of my keg and on the floor of the fridge. Safe to say - nightmare. Tasted what beer I could salvage and it's completely over carbonated.

I'm at a loss for what is going on. I thought kegging was supposed to be easier than bottling... Turns out, I'm drinking a bottle of HB instead of a draught pint because I probably ruined the 5 gallon batch of HB I kegged. Definitely felt like I did my due diligence on kegging before I tried it. Still not 100% sure on if my equipment is working to its potential. Going to take to my LHBS this weekend and see if he can diagnose. Ugh!!!!

Paul

Update: came home tonight and attempted to pour a pint after assuming I fixed this issue two nights ago by hitting it with a little more pressure and burst carbing for an additional 1-2 min (I had previously burst carbed at 20 psi for 5 min on Sunday). Beer came out of the tap like a rocket and was all foam. Opened the door to the kegerator and there was beer dripping down the side of my keg and on the floor of the fridge. Safe to say - nightmare. Tasted what beer I could salvage and it's completely over carbonated.

I'm at a loss for what is going on. I thought kegging was supposed to be easier than bottling... Turns out, I'm drinking a bottle of HB instead of a draught pint because I probably ruined the 5 gallon batch of HB I kegged. Definitely felt like I did my due diligence on kegging before I tried it. Still not 100% sure on if my equipment is working to its potential. Going to take to my LHBS this weekend and see if he can diagnose. Ugh!!!!

Paul

If there is beer all over in the kegerator- where's the leak? That needs to be investigated right away. Even if overcarbed, the beer stays in the keg unless you've got a leak somewhere. Check the lid, the poppits, and the disconnects. You may have a piece of hops debris stuck in the "out" post in the poppit or something, keeping it open.

If there is beer all over in the kegerator- where's the leak? That needs to be investigated right away. Even if overcarbed, the beer stays in the keg unless you've got a leak somewhere. Check the lid, the poppits, and the disconnects. You may have a piece of hops debris stuck in the "out" post in the poppit or something, keeping it open.

Good point Yooper, I believe the leak is coming from the connection site where the beer tube meets the tap faucet. There was some foam present and it would explain the beer puddling at the bottom of the fridge (dropping back through the tubing and copper piping along the beer line onto the side of the keg). Assuming it was overcarbed and since I never bled the pressure back out of the keg... It leaked from the faucet... Does that seem probable?

Paul

Gents... After leaving the beer be for the past week or so, I've cracked the code. My beer froze almost to a slush puppy consistency. I thought my fridge had been around the correct temperature but I was wrong. The dip tube was taking from the bottom (where all the condensed liquid beer fell to) and leaving all of the iciness at the top. This explains the weak tap flow and the extremely syrupy, salty taste. I plan on leaving the keg out overnight but don't expect more than a very watered down product tomorrow.

First keg batch mistake. Will definitely be sure to monitor temp once in the keg more closely going forward.

Here is a pic for your amusement. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417041737.522163.jpg

Paul

Good to know that you figured out the problem. Good job! To me, kegging is so much easier than bottling. I left home brewing for a few years because I hated bottling so much. Again, glad you figured it out

Good evening gents,

I kegged a 5 gallon batch of black IPA on Saturday afternoon (this was my first kegged batch ever). I waited 24 hours for the batch to get down to ~35 degrees F. At that point, I burst carbed at 20 PSI for about 5 minutes. I let it sit with dispensing pressure set to 10 PSI for an hour and tested the tap at that point. It worked well - I was actually surprised at the level of carbonation and tap flow that I had in front of me.

Tonight, or about 24 hours later, I went to pour a pint and I have zero tap pressure - beer drips slowly from the tap. Keg release valve shows some pressure still in keg and regulator still shows 10 psi. Not sure what to make of this - looks like the regulator is getting CO2 from the tank, but somehow, the keg isn't keeping a constant dispensing pressure.

Like I said - first batch kegged and I thought I understood the kegging process pretty thoroughly so now I'm a bit concerned that I have faulty equipment (though I don't notice any leaks)

Any insight? Thanks guys - appreciate this forum!

Paul

Paul

From what you are describing it sounds like you burst carbed for 5 minutes and then put it at 10 psi. This will not maintain a carbed beer. To burst carb in order to get beer ready in 36-48 hours you put it at 30 psi or so and leave it for 36-48 hours, remove the head pressure and set it at 10 psi. Aside from your beer freezing this could be one of the issues of why your beer was not pouring properly. Unless I'm miss reading something here..

From what you are describing it sounds like you burst carbed for 5 minutes and then put it at 10 psi. This will not maintain a carbed beer. To burst carb in order to get beer ready in 36-48 hours you put it at 30 psi or so and leave it for 36-48 hours, remove the head pressure and set it at 10 psi. Aside from your beer freezing this could be one of the issues of why your beer was not pouring properly. Unless I'm miss reading something here..

I was under the impression that burst carbing at 20-30psi and rolling the keg to force rapid CO2 absorption would carbonate the beer to its desired level (I know there isn't much science behind burst carbing but I figured it would be close).

Paul

I was under the impression that burst carbing at 20-30psi and rolling the keg to force rapid CO2 absorption would carbonate the beer to its desired level (I know there isn't much science behind burst carbing but I figured it would be close).

Could be close, could be wildly overcarbed.
That's about the least reliable method of carbing a keg...

Cheers!

Back