Keg post question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 6 ball locks that I bought used a couple of years ago. Three of them have different size posts on them than the other three. I believe the sizes are 11/16" and 7/8".

Could I just use one of those sizes for all my kegs, or are there various styles of ball locks that are different? They all look identical, except for the posts. I was just wanting to have one size wrench or socket for all my kegs when I have to clean them. Thanks.

Your post fittings (what you're referring to as posts) are different sizes because the posts they thread on to have different thread sizes. There's not much you can do about that, other than only buy one style of keg. Trying to thread the wrong size post fitting onto a post can damage the threads.

FWIW here's a reference that shows the various thread sizes for different keg models-http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

I have a ratchet wrench that one side is 9/16 the other side is 7/8. Came in some set of ratchet wrenches from HD I think I'm sure one of the home stores would sell the same wrench by itself.

As for having one size your options are trading with someone or buying 7/8 and selling your 9/16. Seeing you should only be cleaning 1 keg at a time I don't see how this is a hassle.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just make due then. I bought mine used, so it was more or less "take what they've got". I paid less than $30 a keg at the time, so I can't complain. I was hoping the post fittings were more universal.

Thanks for the clarification Daytrippr. I meant to say 11/16.

Back