Keg outside for a party, how to control temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
I'm hosting a movie night and planned to move a keg from my keezer to the back yard. I planned to put the keg in a 5g bucket with some ice and use a picnic tap and a small co2 tank
How do I make sure I don't over cool it?
Weather is scheduled to be in the 60s

Why not put it in a bucket or small plastic trash can, surround it with fiberglas insulation, cover with a blanket or similar, and it should pretty much hold whatever temp it starts at.

More thermal mass around the keg at the desired temp will help slow the warming by ambient temp. Suggest a trash can with 40 deg water, keg in the water, and ice added to the water to keep it at 40 deg (assuming that is your serving temp). If you keep your picnic tap in the water when not serving, you can keep the beer in the line cold as well to avoid foaming.

I'm with everyone suggesting to throw it into a trash can with ice. A cynlindrical cooler will retain the cold better though

Overcooling it isn't terrible just lower the co2 pressure appropriately...

yep, trashcan, ice, 5' line and a little water. won't go below 32, and if it's 60 outside, you should not need to mess with it for a full 4 or more hours. (probably more).

Even better than a trash can is a round 10 gallon drink cooler (the kind many of us use as MLT/HLT). I use my HLT to ice down a single keg. Doesn't take much ice either, about 10lbs to fill to the brim.

Latest posts

Back