keg lid leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just carbonated a batch at 14 psi for 3 days. Happy with it, no leaks no problems. But once i lowered the pressure down to serve i noticed the lid is leaking. I guess the 14 psi was pressing it enough to properly seal but 1 or 2 will not. So my question is, is it wise to purge it and refit the lid or do i turn the pressure back up to seal it?

It's an apa. But i normally just turn it down to where it pours nicely. This is my first problem with leaking.

Does your gauge actually work??? 1-2 is super low. How long is your beer line? You should be able to pour at 8+ psi with the proper length beer line.

The line is about 4 feet. I started at about 12psi and it was all foam so i gradually worked my way down to get the flow i wanted. But when it got there the lid started leaking. But i guess i'll turn it back up to seal it and try to let it settle at 8 or 9 psi

1-2 psi is too low.
12-18' of 3/16" ID line @12 psi should work in most cases. I have a few kegs that won't seal under 6psi, regardless of what I do. At 12 psi they're all solid.

1-2 psi is too low.
12-18' of 3/16" ID line @12 psi should work in most cases. I have a few kegs that won't seal under 6psi, regardless of what I do. At 12 psi they're all solid.

My lines are all 4-5' and I serve at 10-11 psi with zero issues. Is that not normal?

My lines are all 4-5' and I serve at 10-11 psi with zero issues. Is that not normal?

It's not unusual, I've heard it before. Are you serving at a lower temp perhaps? Like 34°F?

Much depends on the internal resistance of your beer lines. Some vinyl is more restrictive or thinner, allowing shorter tubing. When using Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra one may need even longer lines, since the tubing is very slick inside (PET layer).

Just standard "BEVLEX.." have my temp controller set at 43*, holds there pretty well. Maybe my gauge is off and I'm actually pouring a couple PSI less than that? CO2 tank is outside the keezer at room temp if that might possibly be helping me?

Not worried about it or anything, just get a little curious when something I do seems so normal and easy then I find out its not the typical norm for people that have been doing this far longer than myself.

Sorry to kinda jack the thread, haha.

Try rubbing the lid gasket with some keg lube. It is essentially petroleum jelly that is rated food grade. Vaseline could work as long as you don't tip the keg to have contact with the beer.

I've had great results with a couple of my kegs that have bad lids by using the keg lube.

I recommend looking up a calculator for beer line sizing. There are several online. Some people prefer to keep a keg at the pressure required to maintain the style's volumes of CO2, so they use a certain length of small ID tube that creates enough headloss/resistance so the pressure is reduced sufficiently from keg to tap to prevent foaming. As others have said as well, if you use a short tubing run and low pressure, you may have issues seating the o-rings, and losing carbonation if you don't adjust the head pressure back up. People generally have good luck blasting the keg with 20-30 psi to seat the o-ring, then back off slowly to serving pressure. Using a longer line avoids having to fool around with that though. Keg lube also helps.

I have had leaking issues at lower pressures before. Sometimes my (used) kegs are temperamental if the lid is off center by a 1/6 or 1/8 of an inch. I release the pressure and resit the lid to as close as possible or more towards the leak. Then gas it to 20-30 PSI and then turn it down and balance the pressure. This works best if the o-ring is newer or at least in reasonably good condition.

FWIW, my kegerator has the stock 5' of line that came with the tap, 3/16 id and I have had no foaming problems serving at 10-12 psi and at 42*. I did, however, use a copper pipe as a conduit for the beer lines which helps keep the lines and tower cool, so that may be a contributing factor.

Back