Keg Hopping Giving Extra Foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I've new to Kegging. I've kicked 2 kegs and my 3rd to 5th are on tap. The one beer I've Keg hopped is foaming way more than anything else, even at the same pressure. I used 3/4oz pellets in a bag. Do I maybe have some sort of clog somewhere? It's been super clear since a few weeks in the keg. Could it be a kink or something in the line (this is the only beer I've run through this tap)?

I've new to Kegging. I've kicked 2 kegs and my 3rd to 5th are on tap. The one beer I've Keg hopped is foaming way more than anything else, even at the same pressure. I used 3/4oz pellets in a bag. Do I maybe have some sort of clog somewhere? It's been super clear since a few weeks in the keg. Could it be a kink or something in the line (this is the only beer I've run through this tap)?

It's possible that some of the pellet hops made their way out of the bag- they disintegrate, or the bag is clogging the bottom of the diptube. The first thing I'd do is release the pressure, and pull off the "out" disconnect. Then release the pressure again (trust me on doing it again!) and remove the "out" post and diptube. Once you get the post off, pull the diptube quickly (as the long post will allow the carbonated beer out of the keg- trust me on that, too!). Eyeball the diptube towards a light, and remove any obstruction, then take the poppit out of the post and clean it. If it's full of crud, you found your issue. If not, then you may have to go fishing for the hops bag to see if it's in the way, and remove it.

I use a very very fine mesh bag when keg hopping with pellet hops, and I still get some rogue hops debris some times.

The bag is attached to the lid, so it shouldn't be clogging the diptube. I think it's about done, so I'll probably let it ride, but give it all a good check once the keg kicks. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back