Keg freezer collar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbippers

Reaction score
I don't need the extra height offered by a collar and I'm not worried about ever converting my project back to a regular freezer. I want to put the faucets through the freezer wall as it's easier and I like the look better than the collar. My only concern is the freezer elements. Do these usually run through the front walls such that I need to worry about puncturing them? If so how do I avoid them?

Most modern chest freezers use "warm wall" construction, where the expansion coils (cold side) are run in contact with the inside wall on all four sides, and the condensing coils (warm side) are run in contact with the outside wall.

That makes it doubly likely you'll hear that fateful "ssssssssssss" sound if you dare to drill shank holes through the chest wall. I wouldn't even try it.

If you have an older unit that uses external condensing coils mounted on the back, you could use the alcohol and corn starch trick to locate the cold side coils, and with luck manage to miss them with your shank holes.

For me, I like towers...
ab_oct_15_2011_11_sm.jpg

Cheers!

To offer another opinion, i would need to agree with the concept of not drilling through the side of a chest freezer. I know this from experience. I drilled my holes through the front near the top and still managed to hit a line.

Since a collar is out of your radar have you thought about a stand up freezer or fridge? Drilling through the door would cause no issues and height would be no issue.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Yeah I'll just do a 2x4 collar. Thanks for the input. I already ruined a mini fridge attempting to bend the freezer.

Back