Keg cooler - best place for CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 10 drink coolers as shown below. I do small batches so my kegs are 2.5 gallons. I'm going to use sodastream for dispensing the beer. Is it better to strap it to the outside or have it inside? In side will be cold but I figure that's OK - I keep my 51b CO2 in my chest freezer set at 38 degrees. Would it be too hot in the summer to have the sodastream on the outside of the cooler? I'm in NJ and it gets into the 90s.

IMG_1336.jpg

I'm going to use sodastream for dispensing the beer.

I would be super careful about carbing your beer with a soda stream it will not produce the carbonation levels appropriate for the beer and it unfortunately will not last long.

I'd simply use that 5 lb CO2 tank you've got in your keezer.
If these events become a habit, maybe get a 2nd tank, that also gives you a backup.

All but a few members at homebrew club events bring a 5# CO2 tank along. Some have more than one tank, keeping one for that "portable" purpose.
5 lbs is a good balance between refill/swap costs, the amount of CO2 it delivers, and weight/portability. You could probably make a carrier for it. Or use a crate.

I schlepp a 20# tank to events, along with 1 or 2 full size kegs. It's cumbersome, especially when it's full. Really need to look into buying a 5# one for that.

I'd simply use that 5 lb CO2 tank you've got in your keezer.
If these events become a habit, maybe get a 2nd tank, that also gives you a backup.

All but a few members at homebrew club events bring a 5# CO2 tank along. Some have more than one tank, keeping one for that "portable" purpose.
5 lbs is a good balance between refill/swap costs, the amount of CO2 it delivers, and weight/portability. You could probably make a carrier for it. Or use a crate.

I schlepp a 20# tank to events, along with 1 or 2 full size kegs. It's cumbersome, especially when it's full. Really need to look into buying a 5# one for that.
do you think it would be a problem if it's outside in 90 degree weather? I'd make sure it's in the shade. It will probably be a few times a year where I travel with two kegs/coolers and then maybe a few more times in my neighbor hood with probably just one keg/cooler. I already have sodastream - that's why I was thinking of using that.

do you think it would be a problem if it's outside in 90 degree weather? I'd make sure it's in the shade. It will probably be a few times a year where I travel with two kegs/coolers and then maybe a few more times in my neighbor hood with probably just one keg/cooler. I already have sodastream - that's why I was thinking of using that.
Daytime temps of 90F are fine for the tank, just keep in the shade, not in direct sunlight where it can heat up beyond...
And don't leave your tank in a (hot) car.

When dispensing you need to be able to dial in a psi that matches the temp of the beer, the length of the beer hose, and tap in use, such as picnic/cobra or a regular tap screwed directly onto a QD, using an adapter. You want to reduce foaming while keeping proper carbonation. Inside a warehouse I have perfect pours that way at 10 psi using 6' of 3/16" hose with a picnic tap. 4mm ID EVA Barrier hose should make that even easier, once I figure an elegant way to clamp a picnic tap on that line. Or make a little stand to hold a regular tap.

I doubt a Sodastream has that kind of fine regulation. Plus the refills are insanely expensive.

I use those 5 gallon gotts to keep my 5 gallon cornies cool in. Make sure your keg is cold already, or a little colder than it should be.
I can slip around 2 pounds of ice cubes/crushed ice into the space that's left between the gott and keg, and is good for up to 6 hours at room temps or low temp shade. The top part of the keg that sticks out is wrapped with several layers of Reflectix, that also seals the space between the gott and keg nicely.

I doubt a Sodastream has that kind of fine regulation. Plus the refills are insanely expensive.
I have a 5KG CO2 and fill my own 270g soda stream bottles. I have a handful I picked up at a recycling centre. Brass refill adapters are cheap, its simple to do (see u-tube), quick when you do a few at a time and makes the refill 6X cheaper. They're small to travel with, especially with a mini regulator and if gas line / connect leaks happen its not a giant ball-ache.

Latest posts

Back