Keg conversion to brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
I think they are called keggles?!? But my main question is this... If I want to start 10 gal batches what are the requirements. 12 gal boil, is it a true measurement of double the ingredients? What else do I need to consider to get a true 10 gal of end product.

It is pretty much that, double up a 5 gallon recipe and you're good to go. Hops you may cut back a little, but I've had good luck just doubling them!

I convertd a keg to a keggle a couple of years ago and have had to tweak my 5 gallon recipes somewhat but not much. Hop utilization changes with the volume but it's part of the learning curve. I do an infusion mash with 8 gallons of H2O and a single 8 gallon sparge to get about 13+ gallons or wort. I reserve a gallon and add it at the halfway point. It usually takes about 5 minutes to regain boil. I split the batch into 2 fermenter buckets and usually keg or bottle 5 gallons plus off of each one. I lose close to 2 gallons to boil off and another half to a gallon in the bottom of the keggle - I siphon off the wort after chilling as opposed to the dip tube / valve. It's just a personal preference.

If the recipe is the same then why do I have to alter it for a double batch. Wouldn't I just double everything?

I do ten gallon batches in a keggle (15.5 gallons) and can easily get boil-over at 13 gallon pre-boil, so from a hardware standpoint if you want to do 10 gallon batches go for 50% extra capacity.

Ma23456 said:
The hop utilization is not a linear relationship

So if a 5 gal batch calls for 3 oz of hops your saying the same 10 gal batch is not 6 oz of hops?!? Why is that? What about the grain, DME/LME, additions?

TexanBrewGater said:
I do ten gallon batches in a keggle (15.5 gallons) and can easily get boil-over at 13 gallon pre-boil, so from a hardware standpoint if you want to do 10 gallon batches go for 50% extra capacity.

So you are doing 13 gal boils to net 10 gal of beer? I like that. It's about 1/2 gal of trub lose and about 2 gal of evap. I understand the boil over lol. Had my share of them myself. It's the reason I went from a 5 gal pot to a 9 gal pot.

Back