Keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orford

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am planning a New Years Eve party and am trying to figure out my keg situation. I have room for two kegs in my keggerator and think I should have a keg of a robust porter and an IPA at the ready for New Years. As back up I have a Lefe style Belgian Blonde (oddly enough I have at least three Belgians coming for New Years). I am debating how best to have this keg at the ready should our 14 people blow through the beer. Would it make sense to keg condition the Belgian, i.e. add some DME/corn sugar, let it ferment at rt for a few weeks and then put it outside on the deck the night before (I live in the northeast so it should get cold) or try and force carb intermittently?

Thanks,
Dan

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What I'd do is chill the keg, put it on pressure, burp the headspace, then shake it - it'll carb up in just a few minutes. I usually boost the pressure pretty high, but that can result in overshooting your carbonation. Leave it at the pressure prescribed for your temperature and style carb level, and you shouldn't go wrong, but you'll be shaking/sloshing the keg longer.

Greetings all,

I am planning a New Years Eve party and am trying to figure out my keg situation. I have room for two kegs in my keggerator and think I should have a keg of a robust porter and an IPA at the ready for New Years. As back up I have a Lefe style Belgian Blonde (oddly enough I have at least three Belgians coming for New Years). I am debating how best to have this keg at the ready should our 14 people blow through the beer. Would it make sense to keg condition the Belgian, i.e. add some DME/corn sugar, let it ferment at rt for a few weeks and then put it outside on the deck the night before (I live in the northeast so it should get cold) or try and force carb intermittently?

Thanks,
Dan

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I keg condition the majority of my beers. I'd recommend using about 3/4 of the priming sugar/malt you'd use if you bottled, ie , .75 oz per gallon. Then let it sit at room temp for 10-14 days. You can then cold crash 49 hours and serve.

Back