keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimstad13

Reaction score
Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. I have fermented my stout og 1.080 in a bucket for four weeks. Normally I would transfer to bottling bucket, add corn sugar, bottle, condition @ 68 deg. and wait at least 8 to 10 weeks before I tried it. I am trying to move into kegging, My plan is to rack from yeast cake(fermenter bucket) into a corney keg, let sit for 8 to 10 weeks @68 deg. and then hook up to C02 to carbonate, probably for another week. Does this sound correct? Do I need to purge the keg first with Co2 and just leave it air tight for the duration? Oh yes I have cold crashed for one week also. I shouldn't need any kind of blow off, Should I? Appreciate any input, Thanks

You are on the right track. In fact, I don't think you need to let it condition for 8-10 weeks in the keg before carbonating, though you won't hurt anything by doing so. You could add priming sugar to the keg and let it carbonate naturally, if you want.

The method you outline, you will not need a blow-off. Purging the keg with CO2 is a good idea.

However, I'd probably just go ahead and hook it up to the CO2 to carbonate. You will want to have the pressure level pretty high -- I use about 30 psi -- for a week, then lower it to your serving pressure.

you can still carb your beer with the set and forget method for a a few weeks. it will age so leaving it a month won't hurt. i would also throw it in the fridge or whatever your have. you will need less CO2 pressure.

I often bottle from kegs because it seems to help speed up the aging process of most my beers or maybe i just like green beer. LOL

Back