Keg Conditioning Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
When keg conditioning, anyone have any experience whether there is any difference between conditioning/aging @ room temp vs. serving temps?

When keg conditioning, anyone have any experience whether there is any difference between conditioning/aging @ room temp vs. serving temps?

If you are trying to force carbonate (not using priming sugar) while you keg condition, you will need to use higher pressures to get the same level of carbonation at room temp than you would at serving temp. You can use the calculator here to determine what pressure to use for your temperature.

Brew on :mug:

If you are trying to force carbonate (not using priming sugar) while you keg condition, you will need to use higher pressures to get the same level of carbonation at room temp than you would at serving temp. You can use the calculator here to determine what pressure to use for your temperature.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks but I'm not concerned with carbing as I do force carb. What I wondering about is whether beer ages better at room temp or at serving temp or whether it makes no difference at all.

I have enough supply built up that I can allow the beer to condition/age for several weeks or more prior to putting it on tap. Just wondering what the optimal temp is to let it age.

What kind of beer are we talking about? Not all get better with age.

If you're trying to age-out an undesirable character you'd do better at warmer temperatures.
Otoh, if you nailed a recipe for something hoppy you'll preserve that beer better if kept cold...

Cheers!

What kind of beer are we talking about? Not all get better with age.

If you're trying to age-out an undesirable character you'd do better at warmer temperatures.
Otoh, if you nailed a recipe for something hoppy you'll preserve that beer better if kept cold...

Cheers!

Ok that makes sense. So with that, maybe the best approach would be to condition/age/store dark malty beers at room temp and light hoppy beers at serving temp??

I think I'd change "room temp" to "cellar temp" (ie: something in the fifties/low sixties) but otherwise it seems like a decent general rule.

I'm quite shy about putting beers in any warm situation - have never done so in fact - just out of suspicion that it's less than optimal...

Cheers!

Back