Keg charger and purging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smagic14

Reaction score
I just picked up 2 3 gallon "loose" handle pin lock kegs and a keg charger to use for mobile serving. My question is when I go to naturally carb with priming sugar how do I purge?

Should I give the keg a second or so shot of co2 from the charger then release by pressing the gas post in?

Or is there another way that I am not thinking of, I do not have a co2 tank and regulator and would like to not have to

A couple things you could do:

1. Leave it and let it prime as is. You don't purge your bottles when bottle conditioning do you?

2. Gently shake the keg as soon as you got the lid on there, the dissolved CO2 in the solution that is there naturally from fermentation will escape, pull your purge knob and woosh out comes the air, repeat as necessary. This method could cause great debate about all the ill effects it will cause on your beer, turn it into cardboard BMC death, I wouldn't worry though just did this on my last keg to save on CO2 no harm no foul your call though.

3. Do what you planned on doing with your CO2 cartridges.

Cheers :tank:

Thank I guess I was just worried as all I've read said to purge the keg

I wouldn't get to bent out of shape over it, another option is wait a couple days after you have added the priming sugar and tap your gas post in, this will release some of the CO2 purging any air in there. Only downfall to that is that the CO2 you would be purging is meant for carbonation. Alternatively again you could add more priming sugar to compensate for that.

I have a couple of kegs that just won't seal without a bit of pressure shot inside. Often, just for that reason, I'll purge and give it a shot of co2 again to check the seals. (I squirt some star-san solution that I keep in a spray bottle around it to check for leaks).

It's not a big deal if it leaks a bit- until you realize that the beer has absolutely no carbonation after two weeks! That's why I'd always suggest purging or giving it a shot of c02, even if you don't release the pressure to get rid of the oxygen, to check that there are no leaks for the co2 being produce to escape!

Alright thanks ill play around with sealing it first before I add beer so I don't waste beer!

Alright thanks ill play around with sealing it first before I add beer so I don't waste beer!

Oh, you won't waste beer. You'll just waste some co2 if you have a leak.

Even if it seals great with water today, you need to check your seals each and every time you keg. Sometimes they seal fine, other times you have to horse them around a bit. The only way to know is to give them a bit of pressure, squirt some bubbly solution around, and test.

Well I have a week left till my beer is done fermenting so might as well practice? :) nothing else to do

Thanks for the advice

Back