Kefir Kegnog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourz4life

Reaction score
Putting this under this forum as it mentioned other probiotic drinks which Kefir is tech part of. So I've been doing some odd projects with just fermenting anything ferment-able and this lead to looking into historical references which lead me to eventually find Kefir. Now I know normally its fermented only with Lacto but I'm going to give something a try and wanted to know if anyone had attempted it before and what their results were. I'm going to be adding a mixture of dextrose/fructose sugar to the milk until I hit the SG i'm looking for(around 5%). I don't know the exact SG as I'm sure the lacto sugars will mess with the reading but the sacc won't be eating that. I'll hit it with the Kefir grains and let it ferment on that until I hit the PH shows the lacto has done some work. Either way, I'll be adding the Sacc after at least 3 days with the lacto. I'll be lagering it of course since its milk but the whole plan is if it works correctly and the milk hasn't spoiled or clotted up or anything then I'll be making Egg nogwith it (without adding rum of course)that has a touch of sour. Opinions?

Would love to know how this turns out! Unfortunately not much experience beside making kefir regularly.

I'll be giving it a try soon. I'm leaning more towards goat milk for the creaminess, should mix well with a keg nog recipe. Going to aim to keep the ABV to 3%, worried that if it gets to high the milk will start to curdle up.

I made eggnog flavored kefir with nutmeg last Christmas. I was happy with the first batch, but the second batch just tasted like sour milk. I'm not sure I could replicate this but I probably won't try it again.

Latest posts

Back