Keezer temperature regulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a freezer and converting it into a keezer with collar. I am wondering how much temperature swing I can achieve with the Johnson Controls in line controller with sensing bulb.

I would like to be able to ferment Ales at a consistent 60-65F and then be able to turn it down to 35-40F after kegging.

Is this possible with a keezer set up or will I be short cycling the compressor and burn it out quickly?

Nah, you can do that just fine. Get the digital one to make it easier to adjust it.

Are you wanting to ferment, then leave it in there, cold crash it, keg it, serve it, and drink it.. Then when it kicks.. Ramp the temp back up to 65 and start over each time?

Pretty much what you said. I want to ferment in it, cold crash, then be able to keg and serve from it. I would only be bumping it up to 65 once every couple weeks.

You'll be fine. Grab the Johnson Digital controller, it's plug and play easy.

I did the same thing until recently. Kept it low for fermentation, then dropped temp to cold crash, and now it's going to end up staying at 40* for the kegs. I got another freezer coming that I'll ferment in anyways.

Back