Keezer stopped cooling after move

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH aka shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All, I have a keezer that I've used for quite a long time. I recently moved houses, used a moving company. And now, the chest freezer won't chill. Is it worth having a pro look at it? Thx!

With the unit plugged in, if you put your ear to the compressor compartment, can you hear the compressor running?
If yes, in all likelihood the refrigerant has leaked out, and that would be a costly problem to even diagnose, never mind fix.
Otoh, if the compressor isn't running, the problem may be electrical, which would be much less costly to diagnose and repair (unless it's the compressor that's dead!)

That said, historically the cost of getting a tech just to come out and diagnose a dead appliance can easily outweigh the residual value of said appliance.

You may want to take a look at this thread which shows how to recharge a freezer. If you charged yours up and it started cooling you'd know where things lay...

Cheers!

With the unit plugged in, if you put your ear to the compressor compartment, can you hear the compressor running?
If yes, in all likelihood the refrigerant has leaked out, and that would be a costly problem to even diagnose, never mind fix.
Otoh, if the compressor isn't running, the problem may be electrical, which would be much less costly to diagnose and repair (unless it's the compressor that's dead!)

That said, historically the cost of getting a tech just to come out and diagnose a dead appliance can easily outweigh the residual value of said appliance.

You may want to take a look at this thread which shows how to recharge a freezer. If you charged yours up and it started cooling you'd know where things lay...

Cheers!

I agree. The compressor hums but the freezer doesn't chill. I found an appliance liquidation store that has 7 cu ft freezer in black for $200. Going to check it out on Saturday.

Back