keezer paint job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edbert

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of a modest (7cf 3 tap) keezer build. There are hundreds of beautiful builds out there but with few exceptions they are all sort of standard as far as appearance, some white some black and only the wood stain/paint differentiates them.

To be honest I'll probably do one of them like that as well. They are attractive. In the interest of trying to be different I came up with a paint job to reflect my personal interests. I submit my paint job inspired by a 2nd half of 1944 P51 Mustang.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9h8cd6uyqh2fue/keezer_paint.JPG

I just want to get feedback on how stupid or juvenile it looks. I have the skills to paint it, the insignia would be done with vinyl masks, and the olive drab or black "invasion stripes" would be done with blackboard paint. I figure I could simulate rivets too if I wanna go crazy.

So please do not hold back. Talk me into or out of this idea.

I don't think it looks juvenile or stupid. I like it and think that the P-51 is the sexiest war plane ever.

I don't think it looks juvenile or stupid. I like it and think that the P-51 is the sexiest war plane ever.

Ha!

I think I'd give that title to the Spitfire, but not in the paint and insignia department. The Luftwaffe has the best paint jobs and maltesse crosses are cool...I'm just not comfortable with a Nazi-keezer.

LOL

I love this idea!! In fact...I love it so much that it has inspired me to do some sort of theme on my keezer that I'm building as well. Thanks for posting. What a great idea and yours will look fantastic. I love the old war planes. I used to love going to air shows with my dad and yours definitely captures the essence of the p-51.

I couldn't stand the idea of a plain Ole Paint Job either! Go for it!

Fridge 10.jpg

I couldn't stand the idea of a plain Ole Paint Job either! Go for it!

:off: Not to hijack this thread, but do you have two love controllers on your fridge? Are both sides being kept at different temps? If so do you have a build thread? I LOVE that idea. One side for kegs and the other for fermentation.

:off: Not to hijack this thread, but do you have two love controllers on your fridge? Are both sides being kept at different temps? If so do you have a build thread? I LOVE that idea. One side for kegs and the other for fermentation.

Most if not all side by sides have a single compressor so the idea is good but not very feasible.

Thanks!! As posted earlier I wasn't sure how it could be possible with one compressor, but I probably wouldn't use it as a keezer. I'm in the process of makin a six tap keezer. I would probably use one side to lager/cold crash etc. and the other for ales and such. Right now I just have a mini fridge that will fit one bucket or a carboy. For the future when the SWMBO and I buy a house, this would make a great project for the garage!! I will have to bookmark your build. Thanks all for the replies. Sorry to the OP for hijacking.

A P-51 keezer would be pretty damn COOL!

But I don't like you now, because I'm thinking a 1940s bomber pinup girl would look cool on mime.
I'm off to do some research. Thanks for costing me time and money, just like my wife. :D

Was messing around with paint ideas. My son said I needed checkerboard and indeed it was a common theme.

Making them would not be TOO hard with adhesive vinyl squares as masks so I came up with two alternate schemes.

The one with the checkered collar makes more sense, not only easier but the black squares could be chalk right next to taps and flat olive drab would be a better top for the same antiglare it had in real life.

So I drew them out in sketch up to test then it occurred that a drip tray would not look right with centered insignia and am starting to favor scheme number one.

Any opinions?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/588l5ik4h2uyc0x/keezer_paint1.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwy0te18sdgsl9u/keezer_paint2.JPG.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkjsjyid98mpyko/keezer_paint3.JPG.jpg

A P-51 keezer would be pretty damn COOL!

But I don't like you now, because I'm thinking a 1940s bomber pinup girl would look cool on mime.
I'm off to do some research. Thanks for costing me time and money, just like my wife. :D

I was going to save that for a surprise...

Was messing around with paint ideas. My son said I needed checkerboard and indeed it was a common theme.

Making them would not be TOO hard with adhesive vinyl squares as masks so I came up with two alternate schemes.

The one with the checkered collar makes more sense, not only easier but the black squares could be chalk right next to taps and flat olive drab would be a better top for the same antiglare it had in real life.

So I drew them out in sketch up to test then it occurred that a drip tray would not look right with centered insignia and am starting to favor scheme number one.

Any opinions?
Those drop box links do not show up and need to be clicked on, photobucket seems to work so here, please let me know which option looks best.
Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

If the painted black dots indicate where the taps go then I like option 1 best. Gives appearance of aircraft profile.

Perhaps stupid idea but I was raised on the Peanuts cartoon series. I immediately thought of Snoopy on his dog house in a dogfight. I am aware that would have been the spopwith camel he was flying, but that's what came to mind. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with your results!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snoopy_wwi_ace_lb.jpg

Project is underway, with so much masking I have to wait many days after going one color before applying vinyl masks, and the weather has been cold and/or wet for days at a time so I have to wait.

I'll post some update pics and in-progress shots. Maybe make a new "keezer build" thread like it seems everyone has :)

I finally had some decent weather!

Took this quick shot in the backyard.

I'll be making a full build thread later but if you look close you'll see I had a problem with a vinyl mask that pulled off some blue paint. The rough parts around the collar will be covered and are not an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

Back