Keezer or fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
Well my keezer died- it was a free freezer so not too upset. Trying to decide if I want to build another keezer or buy a old fridge and put the taps thru the door. What makes a keezer better?

I think the aesthetics are a big part of why some people like keezers and others like kegerators. You have to decide which you think looks better, which pleases you more. I like the way the older, vintage fridges look when they're converted into kegerators.

Planned capacity makes a difference as well. You can usually fit 2 cornies in a Fridge, but a Keezer can hold a LOT more.

Also available floor space is an issue. Since OP previously had a keezer, I'd imagine either would probably work, but that's not always the case.

I was thinking I could fit 4 corn y'all in a fridge? Do you guys not agree? If I build a flat base for the inside that is?

Also if you can find a standup fridge (no freezer section) you can normally stack kegs two high and fit a solid 8 in there.

Also if you can find a standup fridge (no freezer section) you can normally stack kegs two high and fit a solid 8 in there.

REALLY depends on the exact interior dimensions of the fridge in question. Some, yes, others, no.

I was thinking I could fit 4 corn y'all in a fridge? Do you guys not agree? If I build a flat base for the inside that is?

I can fit 4 kegs AND a 20# cylinder in mine with room to spare. 5 plust the bottle might fit. If I moved the botle outside I could even have bottle storage.

I like the standard top freezer refrigerator for a lot of reason but the main two are:

Cheap...as in free or under a $100 if common if get almond/harvest gold/vomit colored because you are going to paint it anyway.
Extra freezer space for hops

If you can handle only having four taps and need a ferm chamber this is my next build when my kegerator dies. Water despenser is pulled out and taps put in.

kegerator_ferm_chamber.jpg

kegerator_front.jpg

Freezers are more efficient, the cold does not fall out every time you open the door. And I like the usable work height top of a chest freezer.

But, if could have found a cheap fridge, CHEAP and in good shape....I could have gotten used to that too!

Back