Keezer in the Garage-Do taps freeze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcflash08

Reaction score
I built a keezer last year and have been using picnic taps since. I have Johnson temp control and usually run a 40 watt bulb through the winter in there to keep things from freezing on those exceptionally cold weeks.

My question is now I want to upgrade to Perlik faucets and am worried that they could freeze. I'd like to mount a tower off the back and up instead of out of the sides to protect the faucets from kids and the wife's purse strap.

What are your opinions?

Great question. I have my kegerator, with Perliks, in the garage with a home built temp controller and a small hair dryer for heat. I'm worried about the tower and taps freezing too.

Our temps in Denver were below zero last night and at 5 degrees now. My taps are flowing. We'll be well below zero again tonight so I'll test tomorrow again.

We had the same kind of low temps for a few days last winter too and I didn't have my taps freeze as far as I know.

I have five, 525 perlick faucets installed in an insulated coffin with no instances of freezing. My keezer's sits in an unheated, uninsulated shed for the past couple of years.

Keezer in an unheated garage is not something I would be willing to do if the temp gets below 25* routinely. The building itself can provide around 10* of heat, but in a cold winter your going to need a lot more.

My guess is that your taps wouldn't freeze unless it's getting REALLY cold (<30F) in your garage for extended periods of time.

In my attached 2 car garage my concern is running a small space heater to keep the ambient above 60F since fridges/freezers do not operate well below that (and from what I understand can shorten their lifespan).

I'm not having any trouble with my current set-up.

(Cobra heads inside closed keezer down in the single digits for multiple days)

I want to add taps which would leave beer in exposed stainless for extended periods in a tower. Beer is alcoholic but not freeze proof.

Maybe I can change my design somehow..... I smell smoke.

630 is the new 525, if your garage gets cold enough for long enough they will freeze no doubt about it. Hook up an stc and get a heater, just like a fermentation chamber so you can maintain temps from both ends. I have a little ceramic "My Heat" heater in my fermentation chamber, it was -30f outside this morning and -15f in the garage, it was holding my IPA at 67f just fine.

Below 0 degrees again last night but not quite as cold as the night before. No freezing at the taps. I wouldn't rely on this result without some form of heater but, any heater seems to be enough even up the tower to the taps (so far).

Latest posts

Back