Keezer getting too hot to touch!! Is it ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewAlchemy

Reaction score
Ok,

So I just completed my keezer and I have my Johnson Temperature guidelines set within the parameters i want. But this has been running for an hour now and cooling down slowly but i noticed the outside of the the freezer is almost too hot to touch. Should i turn the freezer off and let it cool down and turn it back on later or is this okay because it is the initial cool down its ever done and has to cool down 4 corneys and a freezer all at one?

Input nnnnneeeeed input!

When first turning mine on, (different make/model,) it got quite warm, but never "too hot to touch." When it cycles it gets warm, but the manual says that this is normal.
I would let it cool to temp and keep an eye on it, if the external temp is still of concern maybe contact where you bought it.
My guess though, is that it won't get so alarmingly warm once it begins to cycle an run for a shorter amount of time.

Its normal for them to get very hot when you first turn them on and they have a big load to cool.

Bigger size chest freezers use the outside skin as their heat exchanger. The coils are in the wall just under the skin of the freezer.

Usually they have the coils on 3 sides.

I just finished my keezer several weeks ago, and it also got VERY hot the first time I ran it ... no problems since. So as long as yours has settled down by this morning, I wouldn't be concerned.

Back