Keezer Foam Issues..........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFryan

Reaction score
So I have had my keezer for about 8 months now (love controller and fan).. I had the temp set to 33 degrees and have had about 5 ft of hose per tap. I have had moderate foam first pour... Reasonable amount of foam on the 2nd. So i felt I should add more line as many have to combat the foam... So ...

Recently I bought 11ft of 1/4ID line per tap. I also had seen many people had their keezer temps set around 40 - 45. So I set mine to 40 degrees. Now all i get is this what you see below...
photo.jpg
100 times worse than before. It also comes blasting out of every tap like a firehose at anywhere from 4-10psi I get this on every pour.. At every serving pressure.. from 1 to 10psi.. I currently have it set to 2 psi to serve and every beer foams like this. The foam starts in the lines iteself.. Then when that clears it just foams in the glass. I force carbed at 10 psi for a week. Also when the foam settles all I have left is flat beer. The only thing I am trying now is to lay my temp prob right up top by my beer lines instead of dangling it 3/4 the was down.

Any suggestions would help.. I am at the end of my rope with this. I have wasted 5 gal already..... Here is another pic of the beer after sitting for 5 minutes. Head is totally gone and Im left with flat liquid. NEED HELP!

photo2.jpg

3/16" beverage hose provides a much higher value of friction per foot than 1/4" and tends to be the recommended size here at HBT. 11ft of 3/16" would likely have worked for 10-15psi serving pressures.

Did you splice the line or replace the line? A splice can create a place for CO2 to be broken out of solution.

How did you carbonate?

3/16" beverage hose provides a much higher value of friction per foot than 1/4" and tends to be the recommended size here at HBT. 11ft of 3/16" would likely have worked for 10-15psi serving pressures.

Did you splice the line or replace the line? A splice can create a place for CO2 to be broken out of solution.

How did you carbonate?

All brand new 11 ft 1/4 beer grade draft line. Carbonated at roughly 10 - 12 psi for the last week and a half.. Dropped the regulators to 2 psi right now and purged kegs. Foam galore. I just dont get it..

When I put the temp prob up top by the beer lines it was a lot warmer approx 50 degrees for some reason. Im going to leave the probe up there a few hours and let those kegs cool and the line as well.. I will report back with the results. I may need a bigger fan I think,

Why does everyone seem to prefer 3/16 ?

It's not about preference but of necessity. 3/16" ID line provides between 2-3 PSI drop per foot. 1/4" ID provides less than 1psi drop per foot. Long story short, you need 10' of 3/16" ID line and if you don't get that, you'll be struggling with foam. Trust me.

Bobby_M said:
It's not about preference but of necessity. 3/16" ID line provides between 2-3 PSI drop per foot. 1/4" ID provides less than 1psi drop per foot. Long story short, you need 10' of 3/16" ID line and if you don't get that, you'll be struggling with foam. Trust me.

So I may have spoke too soon. I put the temp probe up top by the beer lines for 3 or 4 hours. lowered to serving pressure and purged. It came out as normal. I think with all the addition beer line I added I may have screwed up the airflow a bit. It may be time for a bigger fan or a change of placement. Thanks for the help. I always saw posts that read " use a minimum of 3/16 draft line". I assumed a little bigger would be better. Just spent 45 bucks on 1/4 in so i guess I'll give a try a couple weeks and see how it goes. If not. Guess I'll be buying 3/16.

+1, except I'd suggest getting 12ft of 3/16" line and trim it back to suit you (mine are still at 12ft).

1/4" line is for longer runs like in commercial establishments and a small percentage of home setups where the kegs and taps are in two different places.

So I caved and bought 44ft of 3/16 (11ft per keg) Night and day difference! Thanks for the help...

For anyone else out there with a keezer having Foam Issues....
***DON'T USE 1/4ID....***

!!!USE 3/16 ID LINE (11ft solved my issues)!!!!!

So I caved and bought 44ft of 3/16 (11ft per keg) Night and day difference! Thanks for the help...

For anyone else out there with a keezer having Foam Issues....
***DON'T USE 1/4ID....***

!!!USE 3/16 ID LINE (11ft solved my issues)!!!!!

:ban::ban::ban:

Latest posts

Back