keezer/ fermentation chiller differences.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paramecium

Reaction score
Possibly a stupid question but I haven't yet found an easy answer while looking through the forums.

I noticed on the keezer build threads that people use a temp controller that requires pulling apart the compressor side and wiring in the new controller and probe. In the fermentation chiller made from a chest freezer it seems that just a Ranco/ Johnson controls etc.. type is used that has a drop in probe and a simple plug into controller, controller plugs into outlet style setup.

Is this the case and why the more involved style with the keezer? Also I noticed some talk about kegs freezing near the bottom on keezers due to cold temps along the wall but I hadn't come across that on the ferm chillers.

I am only looking to put together a fermentation chiller at this point as my house does not have central air and during the summer it can get quite hot.

~Danny

I have a regular refrigerator that I use for a fermentation chiller and I didn't rewire anything. I simply routed the probe between the door and fridge and plugged the fridge in the adapter on the johnson controller. Has worked great for me. I think the keezer builds on more in depth because most freezers at their warmest setting will still be too cold so the factory probe has to be bypassed.

Ya after some further reading it seems that people just use the love because it is slightly cheaper although it requires some wiring work. Even with the ranco or johnson you are bypassing the probe. The only upside is that the love will only kill power to the compressor and leave the lights on.

I noticed the pre wired 2 stage that can control the freezer and a heater are about $120. one of my other hobbies is coral reef tanks and I have some experience with controllers for them.

In particular one called the reefkeeper lite http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=DA1131&child=DA1131&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=DA1131 Retails for $100 new and come with a temp probe and 4 controllable outlets with digital display. Has anyone ever used an aquarium controller for homebrewing?

Because the LOVE looks more built in/factory stock. It is a little cheaper. Looks sexy.

I think I read that the Ranco has a better resistance to condensation. I see a lot of folks who use the ranco putting them inside the chamber, but LOVE's are mounted outside. If the LOVE's are mounted inside pointing out, they have a box built around them on the inside to isolate from condensation.

Maybe with a ferm chamber that's not as much an issue than with a keezer, especially if you're not cold crashing.

Personally, I took a dremmel tool and cut a square out of the sheet metal that serves as the compressor vent (it's the removable part) and fore-went (forgoed?) mounting on the inside. This way I just have the chord of my probe going inside the chamber. (I'm chord-o-phobic. I can't even spell it correctly). The other way, you have to route the compressor power and what not inside the chamber. My way turned out easier and cleaner. It's just not dead center in the middle of the collar so everyone can look at it and marvel at it's LED awesomeness :).

Back