Keezer / Fermentation Chamber combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieactuary

Reaction score
I'm finishing up my keezer / fermentation chamber, and I just figured out that the aquarium heater only goes down to 65F. I'm running the freezer with an STC-1000. So, I'll only be able to ferment at 65F and above, or the keg temp (~40F).

I did some research, and it seems a Love controller would allow me to
control my hot side (aquarium heater) and cold side (the freezer) at the same time, right? Two sensors, right?

The STC-1000 only has one sensor. So, you can control the heat or the cold but not both at the same time.

Is the Love controller my only solution? Or is there some other heating device (maybe a different aquarium heater) that can control lower than 65F?

I'm not real clear on what your keezer layout is. Do you have an insulated section inside of it that you are going to heat to keep it above the keezer temperature?

Why can't you just use another STC-1000 for it? They also sell a very similar one that only has a single trigger on it for a few bucks less. For the cost difference I would just get another STC-1000.

I currently have a fermentation chamber that is controlled by one STC-1000 temp controller.

The STC-1000 turns on the freezer when it gets too hot, and turns on the heat when it gets too cold, effectively stabilising the temp near the fermentation temp I have set.

Look at this video for instructions on how to wire.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30TvX1Zz1-Y"]Wire the STC-1000[/ame]

Wiring diagram here.

Also, make sure to order the 110V version of the STC-1000.

Thanks for the replies.

My setup is one chest freezer with no partition. I'm using it as a keezer and ferm chamber at the same time. When I'm fermenting, I put the carboy in the keezer in a larger bucket with water surrounding the carboy and an aquarium heater in the water, like a reverse swamp cooler.

I keep the freezer set to 42F on the cool side of the STC-1000. Currently, I use the heat side of the STC-1000 for when the garage temp goes below 42F (if ever in Texas).

The only problem is the aquarium heater temperature knob goes from 65F to 90F+. If I don't have beer in a keg, I can plug the aquarium heater into the STC-1000 outlet I made. But when I have beer on tap and I want to ferment, I can only ferment as low as 65F (or keezer temp, 42F).

I can add a second STC-1000 dedicated to the aquarium heater, or I think I could swap out the STC-1000 for a Love controller and control both simultaneously, right?

To me, it sounds like your problem is that you have a thermostat on the heater that is not needed. Your 1000 controller can control heat and cooling, all with the same temperature setting. If you can rewire the heater to just go on or off, then use the 1000 to control it, and your problem is solved.

aggie,
I am not familiar with the Love controller. It looks like you are thinking the TS S2. It has two relay outputs. From you description, you need three. Heat Keezer. Cool Keezer. Heat Fermentation chamber. You can't do that with the TS S2.

I would add a second ST-1000. Use the first to control the keezer and the second to control the fermentation chamber. You would have a spare in case one goes TU and you eliminate the possibility of programming the wrong area as you have two separate systems.

Just go balls out and build an arduino based temp control. Unlimited configuration possibilities. Just trying to expand your idea of feasible.

Edit: Your comments are screaming for arduino.

Just use a light bulb (100W) as a heat source. Use a light bulb socket and wire it qith an old extension cord.

If worried about the skunk taste you could get from the light bulb, don't be, I've done it (and many others have) that way with no problem. Light bulbs emit close to no UV rays.

People do run light bulbs in keezers believe it or not, but that doesn't solve my problem.

My problem is not being able to control the heat below 65F. The aquarium heater has a built in thermostat that goes down to 65F. The light bulb would have no temp control.

The freezer is plugged in the COLD side of the stc1000, and the light bulb is plugged in the HEAT side of the stc1000.

Let's say the stc1000's probe you taped to the side of the carboy tells you its 21C. If you set the stc1000 to maintain temp at 14.5C, actual temp is OVER the treshold, it will then start the freezer.

Let's say it's super cold, or you want to raise the temp to 20C to finish your beer or whatever. The actual temp is now BELOW the threshold, so the stc1000 will now start the light bulb, which will effectively heat your beer.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well, but that's how mine works, and it works! Cost me about 75$, including the stc1000 and freezer.

Oh, and skip the water bucket. Useless.

He is trying to build a Keezermenter. He wants to be able to run the freezer at serving temps AND he wants to have a swamp cooler inside of it that he can run at a higher temperature all at the same time. He needs to be able to heat the water in the swamp cooler to do that. That's three temp triggers no matter how one looks at it. You need 2 probes and one of the controllers has to be able to control heat/cool while the other only has to control heat.

OP, Have you actually tried to run the aquarium heater while the freezer is set low? I have my doubts that it will maintain a 20 degree differential.

If you had a collar on the Keezer, you could build a son of a fermentation chamber off the side and use a fan controlled by a separate controller to move cold air from the keezer to the fermentation chamber. That's how a fridge/freezer works.

I just don't see how you are going to get around having two separate controllers. Money invested, the cheapest way to get there seems to be with adding on one more STC-1000. Crank the heater to it's max setting, hook it up to the new STC-1000 and you are done.

He is trying to build a Keezermenter. He wants to be able to run the freezer at serving temps AND he wants to have a swamp cooler inside of it that he can run at a higher temperature all at the same time. He needs to be able to heat the water in the swamp cooler to do that. That's three temp triggers no matter how one looks at it. You need 2 probes and one of the controllers has to be able to control heat/cool while the other only has to control heat.

DOH! Sorry! :(

People do run light bulbs in keezers believe it or not, but that doesn't solve my problem.
If I understand the workings of the Love controller, you can do what you want until you need to heat the keezer. Maybe you could manually program and switch wiring around when it gets cold enough that you need to heat the keezer. But then you get a warm day and your fermentation goes outside of the range you wanted to keep it in.

For $30-$40 in parts you can build a second STC-1000 to control the aquarium heater. You're looking at $69 to get the Love controller. Does it come with probes? If not, now you are at $81. When/if you get tired of running the fermentation inside of the keezer or decide what you would really like is more taps/the ability to lager, etc., you already have a second controller to build a separate fermentation chamber. I really see no downside to this approach.

Maybe I'm lost here. Is there a Love controller with two probes and 3 or 4 outs? If there is, that would work but I can't find one like that.

You're probably correct. I wasn't positive the Love could do what I want. You are correct about how I need it to work and needing two probes.

I am running it right now with the STC-1000 set at 7C and I have set the aquarium heater at 65 and that works and I set it at 80 and that works. So, the differential doesn't seem to be a problem. I do have a heater that's rated up to 50 gallons or something like that. If you had a weaker heater you might have problems.

I'll probably just get a second STC-1000.

"I keep the freezer set to 42F on the cool side of the STC-1000. Currently, I use the heat side of the STC-1000 for when the garage temp goes below 42F (if ever in Texas). "

This is the clincher for two separate controllers. IF the Love can control heat or cool separately on each relay and you never need to heat your keezer, the Love should work. But I still think it will cost you a little more.

Back