Keezer/Fermentation Chamber Combo Viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arminius757

Reaction score
Hello,

So I have some rather limited space and money being a college student. I just started kegging and I have to use my chest freezer that I normally use for fermentation to keep my kegs cold... I was wondering if people could share their experience of keeping kegs at serving temperature (around 40*) while using a heating element, such as a fermentation wrap, to keep a fermenter at another temperature (50 to 70). I currently use a 5 cu ft freezer from Lowes. I was thinking of building a collar on the freezer so that the kegs can be stored on the hump of the freezer. The collar will then allow me to attach two taps as well as externally mount my CO2 tank so that it doesnt take up space. The rest of the space will fit a 5 gallon bucket fermenter, maybe even two if I stack them on top of one another with a little stand. I then plan to have two temp control units. I currently run an STC 1000 but I plan to build a BrewPi so that I can control my beer while away from home. I figure I could have the fridge always sit at 40* and then have the fermentation wrap provide the needed heat to keep the wort at the proper temperature. So the STC will be running just the fridge while the BrewPi will be running just the heater. The spot for the second bucket could be used for cold crashing or lagering. I think this would proved the most bang for my buck at the current time with my current limitations. Over time, I can just turn the freezer into a full blown keezer and make something else into a fermentation chamber.

Any input? To me this seems very possible, but I would rather some input from people that have more experience on the matter.

Totally possible. Just wrap the fermentor in several layers of bubble insulation and don't forget the base too - maybe use hard cell for that though?

That's a neat idea. Once fermentation is complete you could simply remove the insulation and fermwrap and cold crash right to serving temp/force carb temp. Then the only time it's disturbed is after cold crash and you can just lift it out, keg it, and then put it back in.

I would suggest a cheap ferm chamber next to the keezer. If 2 kegs fit on the floor and co2 on the hump just a short collar for taps and then put the ferm chamber next to the freezer with the tops about the same hight. With 2 holes in the collar and ferm chamber connected a simple room thermostat can run 2 pc fans to move air to and from the ferm chamber. To cold crash I would put the bucket on the hump instead of the co2 so maybe an option to put the co2 outside or move it into the ferm chamber for a few days.

Also the ferm chamber can be built with no frame and just foam glued together on 5 sides and a good fitting door on the front or top.

I wish I could draw so this rambling cold make more sense.

I understand what you are saying. That's an interesting idea... something to think about. Adding an insulated box to the side could be useful and help control space.
Thanks for the idea!

Thanks to others as well for the replies.

Back