Keezer double lid seal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisjrp4

Reaction score
I'm planning on converting my new Kenmore 8.8 to a keeper and I'm thinking about putting a second set of hinges to lift the lid only or the lid and collar. I'm thinking of moving the factory gasket to the bottom of the collar. What do I use as a gasket for the lid? Is it worth the $40-$70 to get a second factory gasket?

I put hinges on my lid. Couldn't justify the expensive gasket so I went to lowes and bought two versions of weather sealing. The inside one seals pretty well and then I added a second seal in front (outside) edge as a precaution against condensation. I'm in texas and my keezer is outside. Works great and a lot cheaper too.

I put hinges on my lid. Couldn't justify the expensive gasket so I went to lowes and bought two versions of weather sealing. The inside one seals pretty well and then I added a second seal in front (outside) edge as a precaution against condensation. I'm in texas and my keezer is outside. Works great and a lot cheaper too.

would you mind posting a photo or link to the weather stripping you used on the exterior?

would you mind posting a photo or link to the weather stripping you used on the exterior?

I am in the process of building a new and bigger kegerator and am using the same method as I did on the first one. I don't have the sku numbers or the links but hopefully the pictures will give you the idea. I got all the weather stripping from lowes.

Excuse the red banding, I use miter corners and that's to keep the corners square until the glue sets up.

The inside strip is tacked to the inside of the kegerator and the foam insulation is put against it. The second strip is placed about 1/4" inch from the edge of the inside strip. When the lid closes the inside strip is pushed down and forward and the gap between the two ends up at less than 1/8". The method gives a good air tight seal.

One trick I learned from the first build is to place the lid upside down with the collar on it and then push the foam side insulation tight against the lid. This method makes sure there is very little air gap between the lid and the insulation and makes the seal even better because it has less to 'seal'.

insulation1.jpg

insulation2.jpg

Back