Keezer Cowling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirscp

Reaction score
Hello,

I've seen the cowling on a Keezer done two different ways.

1) The door and hinges are removed, the cowling is attached to the freezer, then the door hinges attached to the cowling.

2) Top is removed, cowling attached to the door, then attach the cowling to the hinges.

What are the advantages to disadvantages of each.

Obviously with #1, the hoses and taps won't be attached to the door, as the cowling will stay put with opening.

I want to add a cowling to my keezer, so I can put my CO2 tank outside,. I have 3 primary regulators connected, and it takes up the space of 2 kegs.

Thanks for the advice.

You mean "collar" right?
#1 seems the better choice, which is how I did mine.

I don't see how it would be done any other way. This way the only thing that moves is the door.

If you use method #2, not only do your faucets and everything move and stuff, but you're adding all that extra weight to the hinges.

I havent built one yet, but from my research I think attaching the collar to the lid would be the best. That way when you raise the lid the collar comes with it. It would get the lines going to the faucets out of the way and also you wouldnt have to lift the kegs as high to get them in. The added weight to the hinges would mean you might have to use something to prop up the lid when you open it but that is the only disadvantage I can see.

I attached my collar to the lid. The added weight of the four faucets and shanks, lines, regulator, two manifolds etc has made no impact on the usefulness of my hinges, the lid will still hold open past ~45 degrees. Doing it this way make it much easier to lift kegs in and out, and completely removes any chance of dinging up the faucets or shanks when doing so.

That was one thing I was worried about, adding height to lift the kegs over.

I probably won't be adding faucets for a year or so, as I'm using picnic taps for the time being.

Having the hoses lifted out of the way would be another advantage.

From what I've read/seen it just depend on preference.

Doing it this way make it much easier to lift kegs in and out, and completely removes any chance of dinging up the faucets or shanks when doing so.

Plus if you plan ahead, you can have all your beer lines obsessively routed so that they are visually purdy. This would be a big, big PLUS for me.

Then again, pay me no mind, I'm one of those lame side-by-side Fridge keggers. I ain't in yr "Cool Kids Chest Keezer Club". :(

Back