Keezer Computer Fan, AC or DC??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteEagle1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Would like to put a fan in my keezer using the computer fan wired to a cell phone charger method. Radioshack has AC fans and DC fans....which do I get?? Also for those of you that run fans, do you run them continuously? Or wire them so they only kick on when the compressor kicks on??
Thanks!!

WhiteEagle1 said:
Hey guys,
Would like to put a fan in my keezer using the computer fan wired to a cell phone charger method. Radioshack has AC fans and DC fans....which do I get?? Also for those of you that run fans, do you run them continuously? Or wire them so they only kick on when the compressor kicks on??
Thanks!!

DC. Most newer cell phones chargers put out 5VDC. I think computer cases fans are mostly 12VDC. That will work together, the fan just won't run at full speed which may be a good thing.

I'm not sure there is an easy way to switch one with the compressor.

In my keezer I have a 40mm 12VDC fan cooling my tower and an 80mm 12VDC fan circulating the air in the chest.

They both run from a wall wart set for 12VDC (wire runs through the back edge of the lid) that I can plug into either side of the Ranco controller that runs the keezer, so they can either cycle with the compressor or run all the time.

I've experimented both ways and about a year ago went with "always running"...

Cheers!

So that's 2 votes for DC.........which is funny because I told the chick at Radioshack how I wanted to splice the fan into the phone charger, she said she thought AC. I was skeptical because she wasn't sure.

I am running two 120v AC 3" radio shack fans. One as an intake and one as an exhaust fan for my coffin. The air flow rate is just about perfect for my coffin. All I had to do to wire them was buy a $1.62 extension cord from home depot and splice them together. It took all of 2 minutes to do.

I am running two 120v AC 3" radio shack fans. One as an intake and one as an exhaust fan for my coffin. The air flow rate is just about perfect for my coffin. All I had to do to wire them was buy a $1.62 extension cord from home depot and splice them together. It took all of 2 minutes to do.

So no cell phone charger?? Just wire it straight into a cheapo extension cord?? Figured that would risk burning out the fan? Anyone else have theirs wired like this??

You can go either way. The benefit of the low voltage DC fans is you don't have to run any 120v stuff into the keezer which could be viewed as being a bit safer. But the 120vac fans work too. The life of the fans really depends on how they are built. Some of the better quality computer fans have ball bearings. The lower end ones are simply a bronze sleeve 'bearing', and eventually they get enough dust into there that they will stop turning. It can be cleaned and reoiled say with microil and they'll work again for a few months but it isn't really worth the labor to service them.

I have a DC setup using a fan from http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm/scategory/BLO/term/fan/srch.fp/1.

The fan I use is called the Huff-n-Puffer. It's a squirrel cage fan that allows you to direct the airflow. I mount this to the underside of my lid. it pulls cool air up and directs it at the back of my taps. Stopped my foaming issues. I have this running in my keezer and fermentation chamber.

Got the AC adapter here:

http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?u...894=&term=dc+adapters&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0

Been running for about 1-1/2 years now.

Latest posts

Back