Keezer collar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EsoChingado

Reaction score
I am trying to get a good idea of how to make a keezer collar for a 21cf chest freezer. I am wondering how everyone keeps the collar from moving around. I have read some folks do an outer and inner collar and am curious if that is for stability or just for looks.
Thanks for the info.

My keezer uses a 2X6 lumber for structure which is then wrapped with a 1X8 facade of cedar which also secures the collar from moving. The 2X6 was also held in place with two-sided 3/8" thick foam tape all around.

Mine is just attached with the freezer hinges (so the whole collar lifts open), and I don't have any problems with movement.

I caulked mine down with painters caulk. Put a bead down first, then caulk the inside and outside joints with another nice bead. You couldn't pull it off if you tried.

I also used 2x6 lumber and caulked. Caulked between wood and freezer and then ran a bead inside and out. Agreed with steveg229, it doesn't move. It was very simple and quick, might do something fancier later but it works great as is.

There are many options for securing your collar. There are a couple of things to consider though.. Do you want to make the collar removable, there are many different levels of "removable?" Where do you want to hinge point to be? Weight will play into the hinge placement so be mindful of your building material.

Personally, I like to build a little a little lip in the collar overlapping the outside and make it as thin as possible. This approach allows me to keep overall weight down so I can hinge from both the freezer to the collar and the collar to the lid, and since foam insulation has a better R value than wood per inch I can improve overall thermal efficiency.

Just did this one a month ago, used the Foam tape that is used between a camper shell and your pickup bed under the collar, then used the original lid hinges to attach the lid to the collar. Inside was made with a 2 x 6, outside is a 1 x 6 PVC finish board. The original seal on the lid seals perfect on the 2 x 6.

2016-12-17 16.07.21.jpg

Back