Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeeEr is running well, beer nearly reached desired carbonation. However, I have two thermometers hanging in the air, one near bottom and one near top. About a 15 degree temp difference between the two, possibly because the collar is 10 inches. I also have a Johnson temp controller probe wrapped in foam, hanging in air about 1/3 up from bottom. it seems I have to set the temperature controller near 35 degrees for the hanging thermometer (right next to temp sensor) to read about 42, while the temp near the top reads mid 50s. This is preliminary temps as I probably need more time to see how temps measure after another day or so.

Questions:

Is it normal to have to set the temp controller significantly colder than target temp? Is it normal for such a wide differential from bottom to top ( I know hot air rises).

As it stands I could keep a stout on the compressor hump which would be a little warmer in theory which could be nice.

Also considering the need for a fan for circulation. What is commonly used and how is it powered or cycled as far as timing goes.

I used a fan from an old desk top computer & powered it with a power converter from another broken electronic item. When that one quit I used one from a ceramic space heater that had stopped producing heat. The first one ran all the time. The second one cycles with the freezer. At first I was concerned about the temp of the lines at the top getting to warm but the pour seems to be the same so i'm going to leave it that way.
Nice build by the way.

I was going to get that same freezer but I opted for a made in america fridgedaire instead. Still working on it but it won't look as nice as your build.

Green with envy. We have a small chest freezer that my wife said I can use for the kegerator, but first we have to purchase an upright. I think I need to start nudging. The problem is if I nudge too hard she will just take even longer to decide which one she wants. Mostly knowing that it will drive me crazy.

That Keezer looks awesome!

Thanks! It is nowhere as nice as some of the extravagant keezers I have seen on here, but I'm pretty impressed with how good it turned out considering I have limited handy skills, just got into home brewing, and have never built a kegerator or Keezer before.

I needed something small to fit in the house easily and the 5cf fit the bill!

Awesome job man. The 5cf looks like a great option. Good work and enjoy that badboy.

Cheers.

I upgraded to a larger computer fan to circulate air better. I got the bigger one in back left corner at top aiming down, and a smaller one in the front right corner near Bottom pushing up. Seems to keep temps very consistent across all depths of the Keezer. Thanks again for all of the Advice on this forum.

Are you running the fans all the time? Or do they cycle on with the temp controller? I have this freezer too. Currently I ferment in it but it'll be my keezer soon.

owww guess someone got all sparkly and new stuff :mad: (really i'm just jealous). may a suggest a mat on the floor, it's not if beer spills but when beer spills. also you can get a little condensation around the compressor that you might want to keep off the carpet. I have the same designed freezer.

Latest posts

Back