Keezer build question -- Keep the Drain Plug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoneedsabeer

Reaction score
I'm about to skin my keezer in some 1/4" wainscoating.

I'm considering simply filling the drain plug from the inside with some silicone caulking, and covering the outside hole with wood.

How many of you that maintained the hole in front actually use it for draining? My thinking is it would eventually stain the wood there anyway, not making it very feasible.

Thanks!

Jay

I use the drain on mine every few months. It seems like all the sudden a quart or so of murky water builds up in that corner so I just pop off the plug and let it drain (the keezer is outside). I could also easily soak it up with some paper towels if it didn't have a drain so you may prefer to plug the drain and go with the aesthetics.

Unfortunately, I've gotten mold :mad: in my keezer...that's k-e-e-z-e-r, not k-e-e-s-t-e-r :D, several times.

I scrubbed and washed the inside with bleach water using a mop and used water from a hose to rinse it all out...through the drain hole.

If you had that problem how would you drain the water with it plugged/covered up? :confused:

TIP: Instead of using paper towels why not just use a mop? I do. :D

I’ve been using a freezer to lager an Oktoberfest for a few months now. I keep a spray bottle of Star-San in it and give the walls and bottom a shot once a month and wipe them with paper towels. No mold so far. No excess moisture, either. I’ll do the same with my Keezer when it’s done, plus add a small fan to circulate the air. That should keep it pretty dry.

I'm about to skin my keezer in some 1/4" wainscoating.

Jay

Be sure a post pics of your build.

Unfortunately, I've gotten mold :mad: in my keezer...that's k-e-e-z-e-r, not k-e-e-s-t-e-r :D, several times.

I scrubbed and washed the inside with bleach water using a mop and used water from a hose to rinse it all out...through the drain hole.

If you had that problem how would you drain the water with it plugged/covered up? :confused:

TIP: Instead of using paper towels why not just use a mop? I do. :D

You could drain the keezer by tipping it on its side, which is more of a pain than using the drain.

A mop is too big and unwieldy to fit into the corner with all the kegs in the keezer.

Back