Keezer aesthetics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I need some design help with the outside look of my keezer. I have wood crown molding around the outside of the lid that sticks up about 3-4 inches above the top of the lid. My 2 issues are I want to have a seamless look where the molding corners meet (they are uneven) and figure out how to make the top of the lid look nice with the molding sticking up around the edge.

Ideas?

keezer.jpg

Well, somebody has got to say it i suppose. Start over, go back to the drawing board, research some of the many keezer builds on the forums. Unfortunately, i don't believe there is a fix for what you have done. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, i just couldn't think of a way to sugar coat it.

It can be fixed. First you need to go to some woodworking sites for information on "finish carpentry". Especially look for "coped" joinery.

Corners can also be fixed by using a butt joint fit into a dadoed corner blocks.

Way to much for me to explain here.

Uneven corners are impossible to hide completely, but you could cram some stainable wood filler in there and cover the rest of the keezer in a nice raw wood paneling. Something that has a similar color and grain to your crown molding and stain it with a couple coats then three or four coats of polyurethane make sure there isn't any room for water to get behind that wood though, a healthy dose of caulking should prevent that.

If there is any way to take off that crown molding and reposition it with a clean cut on those corners I would recommend doing that before you put much more time into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It can be fixed. First you need to go to some woodworking sites for information on "finish carpentry". Especially look for "coped" joinery.

Corners can also be fixed by using a butt joint fit into a dadoed corner blocks.

Way to much for me to explain here.

Coping would be for inside corners and wouldn't really help with the outside corners he has.

Looks to me like the angle of the saw wasn't quite right for the corner joints. For it to look good, that would need to be fixed first. You could caulk it and then paint it and it might be decent, but fixing those joints would look way better.

As for the top, I would probably tile it. But you'd need to make sure the molding lines up with the tiles.

You could cut blocks for the corners of your lid and butt the molding against those blocks. That way, you would have nice sharp corners and not have to buy any more molding or make precise miter joints. The corner blocks could be two pieces joined to form an "L" or a solid piece with the relief for the lid milled in.

I found a pic on Pinterest of repurposing fridges with pallet wood. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One of the suggestions above was to cover it in paneling, make sure you leave an air space all around your keezer for the waste heat to escape. About 2".

Latest posts

Back