Keeping up with the apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
9DF41600-99E6-4AB5-BC12-7A04888F8C2A.jpeg
I have a friend with a large, at least 25’ tall apple tree. Just got my three gallon press yesterday and my crusher is on the fedex truck for delivery today.

It’s going to take quite a bit of time to catch up and loosing apples to press as they are starting to go bad. This tree is dropping about a 20 gallon tote per day.

The elderly couple who planted the tree many years ago use to make apple wine, peach wine and grape wine. Unfortunately the peach trees and grape vines caught a disease and had to be cut down.

Back to the apple tree, he doesn’t spray, fertilize or anything, so I have found a few bugs and have been removing most of the cores, at least the ones that don’t look quite right.

I used the food processor last night to crush a 5 gallon bucket last night to play with my new press. Had the press about 3/4 full and got two quarts of juice. Probably crushed 60-70% of the apples. This batch I boiled to pasteurize for my kid to drink.

I assume campden tablets 24 hours before pitching, adding pectic enzyme and nutrients will be sufficient working with these apples?

Goal is blueberry apple cider, plain cider and maybe some apple wine. Gotta keep momma happy in order to keep a happy household!

On a side note, I bet the deer that normally feast in my buddies yard are probably saying WTF!?!!!!

Freeze the apples that are going bad, thaw and crush them once you are ready.

I don't core any apples, if they are bad cut out the bad spot or throw it away.

I freeze the juice after I press it, no pasteurizing needed.

I know about freezing fruit to juice, but never thought about apples. Does it change them at all like say bananas?

I’ve actually watched your video before and got most of my direction for making cider from it. Thanks for making it!

It’s been probably 30 years since I made my own cider, so any help is much appreciated!

I’m going to freeze a bunch and make a special gallon batch.

I on average get 1 gallon of juice per 18lbs of apples.
My trees aren't ready until late sept but the pears are just about right now.

Once they come and start to drop... I have 3 days max to get them before the deer get them.
This year I expect to do 500-600lb apples and 200-300 lb pears.

Will be busy for a couple days.

I'm interested in your project here, well, your progress, well your process...all three! Thanks for the post.

We have 3 apple trees on our property and all 3 are different verities which alone makes a nice cider, not great but nice and the pears from the in laws house adds to the niceness.

We make applesauce, apple butter and do the same with the pears. Then I get to have my fun once the needs are fulfilled for our family for the year.

I have a homemade apple crusher/grinder
10" ss tube with a custom ss blade

My press is a harbor freight 12 ton with a custom ss basket made from 1/8" perf plate with 1/4" holes. Holds approximately 7 gallons of pulp.

There's not much juice left after I hold for 15 minutes and we tested it last year on the yield per lb of apples.

My press is a harbor freight 12 ton with a custom ss basket made from 1/8" perf plate with 1/4" holes. Holds approximately 7 gallons of pulp.

Any chance you could put a picture of the press on here? I'm thinking of upgrading my small wine press with a larger basket and hydraulic jack type rig. Does the SS plate come perforated?

I'll be home in 2 weeks and I'll post one then, I couldn't find one in my phone pics.

If you get on their site they will have them, it's a simple setup really. Nothing flashy or fancy at all.

Yes, the perf plate already had the holes, me and a friend split the cost of a 4x8 sheet as it was cheaper that way, I guess they charge extra for chopping a full sheet for smaller pieces, maybe because they're stuck with a custom sized piece of stock that wouldn't sell, who knows.
I also welded 3 ss 1.5" flat bar at the top, middle and bottom for support from the press. I'll more than likely redo them after this year and come up with a better system as they distort a little from the pressure.

Re your question about freezing fruit... I haven't used frozen apples, but today I was looking through Jolicoeur with a view to making a grater mill to produce a finer pomace along the lines that he suggests. In Chapter 6 he covers different types of mill and discusses freezing apples (P102 and P103). He suggests that juice from frozen apples "has a mouthfeel and viscosity completely different from normally pressed juice and feels a bit odd to drink". But, also suggests that "For cider, these effects are not detrimental to the quality"

It will be interesting to get some feedback if you go down the frozen apple path.

I am looking to increase my yield by grating smaller (ideally around 3mm or 1/8" chunks). My present grinder produces a pomace of 1/4"-1/2" chunks and I get about 400ml of juice per Kg of fruit when it is pressed (this roughly translates to more than 20 lbs of fruit to get a gallon of juice), whereas I understand that 600 ml might be possible with smaller chunks... that would be a 50% increase!

I get smaller pieces, and I've double run thru the chopper and it was too fine so there is a line of chop that is good and better and just a pain in the arse to deal with.
1/8" works best for my operations.

I've not frozen apples but do with fruits that have a membrane that separates the cells, peaches,plums, oranges, etc. etc.

I've done pears as well but it seemed harder to work with after, things get so small that they slide the bags around more so than chunks.

Re your question about freezing fruit... I haven't used frozen apples, but today I was looking through Jolicoeur with a view to making a grater mill to produce a finer pomace along the lines that he suggests. In Chapter 6 he covers different types of mill and discusses freezing apples (P102 and P103). He suggests that juice from frozen apples "has a mouthfeel and viscosity completely different from normally pressed juice and feels a bit odd to drink". But, also suggests that "For cider, these effects are not detrimental to the quality"

It will be interesting to get some feedback if you go down the frozen apple path.

I am looking to increase my yield by grating smaller (ideally around 3mm or 1/8" chunks). My present grinder produces a pomace of 1/4"-1/2" chunks and I get about 400ml of juice per Kg of fruit when it is pressed (this roughly translates to more than 20 lbs of fruit to get a gallon of juice), whereas I understand that 600 ml might be possible with smaller chunks... that would be a 50% increase!

Gosh, the alert option here sucks!

Have to share some observations and have some beginner questions, so please bare with me.

My crusher also produces 1/4-1/2” chunks. I’m very happy with it and it’s effeminacy, but yeah, I think a finer crush would yield more. I bought a 12l press, advertised on fleabay as Weston but haven’t seen the name anywhere. I have zero complaints about it quality wise. However after using it I think I’d prefer a bottle jack system and finer crusher. Thinking of buying a hex nut and electric 1/2” impact, deep socket and a bunch of blocks. Just hitting the trigger every couple of minutes while washing, and crushing.

Between my wife, kid and myself I think we have have it down pretty good I think. Every other day we have a 20 gallon tote to process, takes about 2 hours. My son wants to press a gallon and bring doughnuts for his birthday at school, but that’s late September... I told him I’d email his teacher if he can bring his homemade cider in before then to share because it probably won’t last that long pasteurized and without preservatives.

Honestly it’s a lot of work. I can get 2 gallons of cider for $8 that is uv pasteurized. There’s an apple farm that comes to my club once a year and charge a little over $4 a gallon. I charge $125/hr or flat rate. Where’s the business sense in that? But we’ll see.

I’ve made a few cider kits and one raw last year using campden that turned out great after some age... so that’s my resume.

Here’s the beginner questions.

First pressing was Friday, 4 days ago. I have a brand new, washed, sanitized, 2 gallon fermenter, with about a gallon and a half treated with campden. Wondering if it somehow it became infected? And it’s too big to upload even though it’s a screenshot, white film on top. Have not pitched or anything other then campden. Advice?

I also pressed 3/4 gallon of apple and 30 pounds of blueberries and got 2 gallons of blue juice. Topped off the one gallon carboy with blueberry, all treated with campden and nothing else looks bad.

If I do this next year I’m going to invest in an extra fridge/keezer to store the juice, and look for a easier corer. No spay, fertilizers, nothing for bugs.

Last edited:
Oh, lost a 20 gallon tote and apples. Saturday morning I had to move a tote into the driveway to get the wife’s car out of the driveway to go out to the lake. Sunday had a call....

A 10,000 pound cube will crush the snot out of apples!

I too had about 4 gallons of juice fresh pressed in a 5 gal pail. I put campden tablets in because i knew i couldnt get to it for a day or 2. Got to it and a white film on top with a little mold. Smelled slightly like vinegar. I scooped all the stuff off the top, siphoned into fermenter and retreated with campden. See how it goes.

I too had about 4 gallons of juice fresh pressed in a 5 gal pail. I put campden tablets in because i knew i couldnt get to it for a day or 2. Got to it and a white film on top with a little mold. Smelled slightly like vinegar. I scooped all the stuff off the top, siphoned into fermenter and retreated with campden. See how it goes.

Let me know how it goes. I’ll do the same after my job today.

FF4633DA-E730-465A-9146-365B1DB5FD51.jpeg
I must hate myself. Free grapes from a nice elderly couple who don’t have the strength to deal with them anymore. Not only do they get a discount on any plumbing work they may need, but will be getting a bottle of wine when it’s done.

Awesome. If i wanted i could probably round up hundreds of pounds of apples as most people dont use them around here Thats alot of work though and would need a ton of freezer space!

One day, when i have some time lol

Awesome. If i wanted i could probably round up hundreds of pounds of apples as most people dont use them around here Thats alot of work though and would need a ton of freezer space!

One day, when i have some time lol

The nice thing though is we make it a family event almost every night. My kid loves to run the crusher and as much of the press as he can handle.

He missed out on the blueberries so he’s excited about the grapes.

Honestly it’s a lot of work. I can get 2 gallons of cider for $8 that is uv pasteurized. There’s an apple farm that comes to my club once a year and charge a little over $4 a gallon. I charge $125/hr or flat rate. Where’s the business sense in that? But we’ll see.

Holy smokes, $4 a gallon for juice!! The best I can get is $8 a gallon for the Sprouts / Whole foods juices, which don't make nearly as good cider as the fresh-pressed stuff. I'm in Arizona, so I've seen a HALF gallon of fresh pressed juice for $13... There aren't any other options really, so that's why I press my own (41.5 gallons so far this fall!)

Holy smokes, $4 a gallon for juice!! The best I can get is $8 a gallon for the Sprouts / Whole foods juices, which don't make nearly as good cider as the fresh-pressed stuff. I'm in Arizona, so I've seen a HALF gallon of fresh pressed juice for $13... There aren't any other options really, so that's why I press my own (41.5 gallons so far this fall!)

I guess I have it lucky! Dang! Just goes to show you how prices differ per region... well at $8 per gal min in your area that’s $332. Do you use it or sell it?

I guess I have it lucky! Dang! Just goes to show you how prices differ per region... well at $8 per gal min in your area that’s $332. Do you use it or sell it?

Right now it’s all fermenting, but a friend of mine is a professional brewer and she said she’d be interested in buying 40 gallons for a apple beer (a real fruit beer, not that Red’s type garbage) trying to decide if it’s worth my time or not!

Latest posts

Back