Keeping long lines cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vineyardbmw

Reaction score
So, I hope this is in the right section. I'm kinda new here. I just bought a house and it has a bar in the mancave. This thing is a screaming for a mushroom tower with perlick faucets. Directly behind it is a under the stairs closet with an exterior wall. I am lining the closet with insulation and sheet metal and put in a floor drain. I have a walk in condenser and evaporator. So basically a triangle shaped walk in. My question is. Will I absolutely need a line chiller or can I get by with insulating my beg lines?

image-1850775830.jpg

image-465907146.jpg

image-3921027986.jpg

Depends on how long the run is, and how much you care about pouring a pint of foam down the drain at the start of every drinking session. I agree than a DIY trunk line with glycol is likely the best option.

if it's a horizontal run, you can get a $10 pump on ebay and $10 in parts to do the rest. Of course like anything beer related the sky is the limit!

Home depot pipe insulation is $1.75/6ft, you have the tubing. You can duct tape it all up or use metal/speed tape with PVC outer wrap....

Does anyone have a DIY chiller setup the might be able to show some pics of? I like this DIY thing. What's funny is I'm a master boiler and refer tech and don't usually want to bring work home but for beer......

The water fountain/chiller idea is great, but your going to need to cool the lines from the walk in closet/cooler to tap anyway, so thinking the glycol system may be your best bet. Maybe you can save the water fountain for your next project...."man cave beer fountain"!

I'm putting the finishing touches on my glycol system right now, i may do the first test run/leak check tonight/tomorrow if i can find a power supply for the pump.

It's hard to do a picture of my rig as most of it's buried. Basically my setup consists of a aluminum box (the tank) with a hose in and out, and a pump that circulates the fluid around. The box is inside the kegerator so i don't need to do any additional cooling work.

Back