Keeping fermenter cool in AZ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VaskaCat

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I live in Phoenix an am worried that I will not be able to keep my fermenter at 65-70°F during this time of year. Is there anybody here from the area or has suggestions?

What kind of fermenter? Where are you putting it ? We need some details

Hi all
I'm planning on putting it in the spare bedroom where I think it will be coolest. I keep the house at 76 but fear that may not be enough, especially when it's almost 120 and the house won't get any cooler than 80. Thanks for the ads from Craigs list. I may very well buy a mini fridge if that's the best route.

I may very well buy a mini fridge if that's the best route.

The problem with mini fridges is the hump where the compressor is. They are not as big inside as they look outside. I was going to go that route but instead went with a small chest freezer. Picked it up brand new for $160. No issues on if it works or not like with a craigs list buy. Combine it with an inkbird controller and you got a brand new fermentation chamber for around $200 that will hold temps to 1 degree.

Hey everyone
I live in Phoenix an am worried that I will not be able to keep my fermenter at 65-70°F during this time of year. Is there anybody here from the area or has suggestions?

Not sure if you have a laundry room with laundry tub/sink, but I put my carboy in the laundry tub/sink and keep about 5 inches of water in the tub. Then I freeze about 4 one half gallon milk cartons (2/3 filled with water). I use a strip thermometer on the carboy so I know when to put a frozen milk carton in the tub/sink water. It's pretty easy to keep the temp between 65-70 degrees.

By doing this, it's a lot harder for the fermenting beer to heat up because it's submerged in 5" of chilled water. Works for me!

I do have a stand alone freezer in my garage too but even at the lowest setting it gets down to 10° How do you all keep your freezers from freezing?

Go to more beer web site and look up tempature controllers this will explain it in some detail. Basically it bypasses your current thermostat and lets you control the temp at whatever you need.

I do have a stand alone freezer in my garage too but even at the lowest setting it gets down to 10° How do you all keep your freezers from freezing?

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-308-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B011296704

I second the the freezer with temp controller and the inkbird plug and play is a great unit for the price. Look around on craigslist or something there are always used freezers or fridges around for cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in TX and use 2 cool brewing coolers. My ambient room temps are usually 75F and I can keep the buckets at 68F with one 2 liter bottle of frozen water changed out every 24 hours. I have a kolsch that I'm keeping at 62F by adding an additional 2 liter bottle.

What exactly are these?

cool-brewing.com

They are essentially large coolers designed to fit standard size carboys. They are barrel shape, like a drum case. They have a top that zips closed.

I did the swamp cooler thing until I saw these and SWMBO insisted we try it so as to avoid any blowoffs or spilling of beer on the floors.

I'm in Tucson and I use a chest freezer with STC-1000 temp controller and ferment in the garage. If you have the space and cash, I highly recommend going that same route. I got my chest freezer from costco for $160-180 plus another $20ish for temp controller. From about March to November/December I don't worry about heating the chamber, but during winter months I have a small space heater in there.

I like it because it's really hands off compared to a swamp cooler (which won't work when monsoons hit) or putting it in a tub of water with ice bottles. Just stick the probe to the side of the fermenter and let it sit for a week or two.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up buying a inkbird off amazon and used it on my standing freezer. So far it has been working beautifully. I currently have an ESB fermenting in there :3

Latest posts

Back