Keeping beer in primary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-ster76

Reaction score
If I'm leaving my beer to sit in the primary 10G fermenting bucket, which has a loose fitting lid by design, do I need to be concerned with oxidation once the fermentation process slows down?

The krausen is now starting to settle and collapse and its been 8 days. Should I avoid any unnecessary peeks into the ferm to reduce the air entry?

Does the beer continue to produce enough CO2 to protect itself while left in the primary?

You should be fine. RDWHAHB. Even if you transfer to a secondary FV the yeast will produce a small layer of CO2 between the beer and the air in your secondary (CO2 is heavier than air).

That being said, the less headspace you have the less air contact you have to worry about, so if you're planning on letting it sit for months to condition I'd minimize your headspace. Hope this helps!

So long as you leave it completely undisturbed, the protective layer of CO2 will remain since it is heavier than air.

That's what I had figured. Glad to confirm it. All I've done is lifted the lid here and there to peek in to make sure the krausen continues to look healthy.

Thx.

Latest posts

Back