Keeping an Unhooked up CO2 Tank in Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
I noticed that when my kegs are killed and I have nothing connected to my CO2 tank in the fridge it starts to act up. When I open the tank valve after it's been sitting disconnected in a fridge for a day it doesn't regulate pressure. The PSI goes off the charts and the blow off for the regulator kicks in to bleed the super high pressure. Even if I set the regulator to the lowest possible pressure by unscrewing the adjustment screw it will still go off the charts with pressure. I have to take the tank out of the fridge and let it warm up for about 30min-1hr before it starts to regulate pressure again.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what causes it? I have a 5lb tank with a Fermentap dual gauge regulator. I know it's a piece of junk regulator but it came with the keg kit that I bought.

That is crazy, wow. I would love to know too. Bad reg? you're not laying the tank on it side?

mikescooling said:
You should call a Priest like in the exorcist.

Agreed. You'll also need one bottle of new beer and a bottle of old beer for the exorcism to work properly.

That is crazy, wow. I would love to know too. Bad reg? you're not laying the tank on it side?

I'm guessing that it's a bad reg, but I wanted to come here and see if anyone else has this happen to them. Funny thing is that it works fine other than this. If the kegs are killed and I let it sit in the garage unhooked up then I have no issues. This worked well, but now I have a manifold in the kegerator and I don't want to have to unscrew the clamps on the fitting to remove it every time. I dont have QD's yet but I might have to get them sooner than later to keep the tank out of the fridge if my kegs get killed. Or get a quality regulator...

And no, I don't lay the tank on its side...

If your feeling dangerous, you could pop a whole in the fridge and keep the keg on the out side. Or if your going to buy a new one anyway, you can take it apart and clean out the diaphragm, then see if it's any better. If your going with the Priest, I'd like to come, bring a few friends, some chairs, the grill.

Latest posts

Back