Keep glycol chiller running when not in use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmeador

Reaction score
I have a 1/3 HP Penguin glycol chiller and was wondering if there is any reason to keep it running when not in use. I have been just because of the concern that mold or mildew could potentially grow in the reservoir if not kept near or below freezing, but I’m not even sure if a distilled water and glycol mix would promote mold or mildew growth. Also not sure if there any kind of adverse effects that big temperature swings could have on the longevity of the solution.

Any thoughts?

Mold won't grow in glycol but there are other nasties that can and given enough time will grow in it and foul it up.

I turned my chiller off one for one whole month during summer vacation (back when going on holiday was still a possibility :( ) and had to dump the glycol mix as a result. Now I always leave it running and set at -1°C. If the glycol is just sitting there and not actively chilling one or more fermenters the power consumption will be very small anyway.

I leave my chiller on too. As Vale said, it does not use much power when not in use. However, I did turn it off the first winter I had it since my cellar gets pretty cold, and there were no bad consequences.

Thanks for the replies! I will continue to let it run. I’ve had it running for 6 months already, and you are correct that it doesn’t use much energy when not cooling a fermenter. It doesn’t turn on very often. I just find myself wondering every now and then whether it’s better to let it run or turn it off and finally decided to ask. Thanks again!

I leave my chiller on too. As Vale said, it does not use much power when not in use. However, I did turn it off the first winter I had it since my cellar gets pretty cold, and there were no bad consequences.
Did you need to do anything specific to clean out the bad?

I recently purchased a whole lot of gear from another homebrewer. Included was a large glycol chiller and jacketed fermenter, but both have sat full and unused in his garage for months, if not years.

I know I will need to replace the glycol, but do I need to flush it with anything more than just a lot of water?

I would clean it, but not worry too much about it, it is not like the glycol will be in contact w the beer.

Jacketed fermetor, lucky you!

I would clean it, but not worry too much about it, it is not like the glycol will be in contact w the beer.

Jacketed fermetor, lucky you!
Yes, I got lucky on this one.

I think I am going to start a thread - there is so much stuff in this that I don't even know what it is. I hope the experts here can help me ID what a lot of it is.

Mold won't grow in glycol but there are other nasties that can and given enough time will grow in it and foul it up.

I turned my chiller off one for one whole month during summer vacation (back when going on holiday was still a possibility :( ) and had to dump the glycol mix as a result. Now I always leave it running and set at -1°C. If the glycol is just sitting there and not actively chilling one or more fermenters the power consumption will be very small anyway.
In addition to keeping it cold, maybe a shot of Idophor from time to time would help?

Assume you turn your glycol pump off, otherwise you will be trying to cool an empty fermenter which will also keep your compressor running more. If so, what happens to the glycol warming up in the lines and coil? Maybe cycling the pump daily/occasionally for a couple minutes? Thanks!

Assume you turn your glycol pump off, otherwise you will be trying to cool an empty fermenter which will also keep your compressor running more. If so, what happens to the glycol warming up in the lines and coil? Maybe cycling the pump daily/occasionally for a couple minutes? Thanks!

That's right, the glycol pump is controlled by a different controller than the chiller, so it is easy to leave pump off when not in use. No reason to keep is cycling if there is nothing there to keep chilled.

That's right, the glycol pump is controlled by a different controller than the chiller, so it is easy to leave pump off when not in use. No reason to keep is cycling if there is nothing there to keep chilled.
I was thinking of Vale71's comment, "... there are other nasties that can and given enough time will grow in it and foul it up", and that the glycol solution sitting in the warm lines and coil might be at risk. Hence the idea of moving that fluid around with a minute of circulation once a day or so.

Do what you want, my chiller seems OK with being static, circulation wise, when not in use. Not much grows at 30F in 50% glycol solution. Not in my chiller anyway.

Back