Kate the Great clone recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
I dont know how many of you out there have had this beer before or even know it is brewed. It is called "Kate the Great". It is from the Portsmouth NH brewpub and has a HUGE following. It is a imperial stout that is brewed in a small batch only once a year. They only sell so many bottles and have it on tap for one day (last Monday) and then its gone till next year.

I am wondering if any of you have an idea for a clone of this beer?

Thanks

Here is a start:

Brown sugar

A lot of malt, particularly Dingeman’s Special B giving the beer its “figgy, plummy character” (Pale malt and roasted barley are two more you could garantee are in there)

Infused with portwood

Well it looks to me the only way to find out what they use is to go to the source so that is what I am going to do.

Let us know if you get an authentic recipe going, I would be very interested in trying to clone it. Portsmouth makes some pretty fine beer, but Kate is definitely world class.

Source?

Here is an interview with Tod Mott where he mentions he uses brown sugar: http://www.nhpr.org/node/14880 at least as of 2007.

The one I received was supposedly the real thing.
Is it for sure, I dont know but it made a hell of a beer.

I'll listen to that later, I've always been a fan of Tod going back to his Harpoon then Commonwealth Brewery days.

The one I received was supposedly the real thing.
Is it for sure, I dont know but it made a hell of a beer.

I'll listen to that later, I've always been a fan of Tod going back to his Harpoon then Commonwealth Brewery days.

Care to share the recipe?

babalu87...you've had months to type up just a few simple ingredients which you claim to be the recipe for KtG...whats up man? spread the tasty knowledge!

babalu87...you've had months to type up just a few simple ingredients which you claim to be the recipe for KtG...whats up man? spread the tasty knowledge!

You guys may not be aware of this, but Babalu87 has been out of commission for several months with EEE.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/babalu-192443/

Just thought you'd should know why he's not responding.

Back