Karl Strauss Mosaic "Session" Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frettfreak

Reaction score
I am absolutely LOVING this beer (even my non beer drinkning wife really likes it) so I figured it was time to try a clone. Couldnt find one out there already so i decided to formulate one myself.

I took the stats from their site and started to formulate a recipe based on that.

http://www.karlstrauss.com/beer/mosaic.html

Here is what i have for V1 and its close to the spec their website list... HOWEVER, unless they forgot to list a grain on the website, there is NO WAY this is going to be an SRM of 11. to get even close to an 11 with only the 3 malts listed (pale, white wheat, and c10) I would need about a 50% c10 to keep abv in check with 5.5%. And there is just no way thats accurate.

I sent an email to them, and will post some feedback when / if i get it from them, but want get some feedback from the brilliant minds here on the site as well.

Here is what i have so far:

Code:
Recipe: Redline Mosaic Session Ale
Brewer: Frettfreak
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.75 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.75 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
9 lbs                 Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)   Grain         1        72.7 %        
2 lbs                 Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)    Grain         2        16.2 %        
1 lbs                 Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)   Grain         3        8.1 %         
6.0 oz                Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (10.0 SRM) Grain         4        3.0 %         
2.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        5        -             
1.00 oz               Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 15.0 m Hop           6        18.8 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop           7        7.5 IBUs      
0.25 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 mins)           Other         8        -             
2.00 oz               Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop           9        13.7 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               San Diego Super Yeast (White Labs #WLP09 Yeast         10       -             
1.00 oz               Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Hop           11       0.0 IBUs      

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 6.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 5.64 gal of water at 167.4 F        154.0 F       60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 4.59gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Planning on brewing in a few days and will report back with the results. In the mean time, please let me know if anyone has suggestions. THanks!! :mug:

Sounds delicious and I love this brew to death. Definitely keen to hear out it turns out.
Been brewing a lot with Mosaic lately and found it to be a real smooth and great choice of hops. But did not get anywhere close the fruitiness of the KS Mosaic, so far!

Sounds delicious and I love this brew to death. Definitely keen to hear out it turns out.
Been brewing a lot with Mosaic lately and found it to be a real smooth and great choice of hops. But did not get anywhere close the fruitiness of the KS Mosaic, so far!

What kind of hop schedule did you use? the biggest thing i am struggling with here is the color issue. Here is a picture of the brew in a glass for anyone that hasnt had it. Does this look like an 11 srm beer??

KS Mosaic session ale.jpg

Let me check BeerSmith tonight, but it was mostly a good amount of late additions with Mosaic, explaining the killer nose and good, but not overly fruity hop signature in taste.

As for the SRM, agree, definitely more like a 6-7 on the picture. I do not recall the original to be anywhere near 11 either though.

Had a very light bodied Pale Ale with this hop bill:
- 0.5 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - 60min 24 IBU
- 2.5 oz Cascade (7.3%) - 5min 12.9IBU
- 2.5 oz Mosaic (12.8%) - 3min 14.2 IBU
- Total 51.1 IBU at 1.053 SG / 5.6% ABV

Wanted to explore late additions only to get a very light taste on the palate with an abundance of fruity aroma and flavor. It was a bit overboard as in awesome aroma, but lacking a bit too much on the taste side. It was a Summer Mango Pale Ale, so it was intended, but next time I would add about 1.0oz at 15 to 20min. Mosaic was definitely the star here when it comes to aroma.

The last batch was a medium strong IPA. Goal was to get only a slight smooth bitter backbone in the back and tons of aroma and flavor. Used this hop schedule:
- 0.5 oz Simocoe (13.6%) - 60min 25.2 IBU
- 0.25 oz Citra (14.0%) - 60min 13.0 IBU (that was more of an accident. Wanted 0.75 oz Simcoe)
- 0.75 oz Citra (14.0%) - 15min 19.3 IBU
- 2.00 oz Mosaic (12.8%) - 5min 18.9 IBU
- 1.50 oz Citra (14.0%) - Dry Hop
- Total 76.3 IBU at 1.065 SG / 6.8% ABV
Turned out really round and well balanced with an awesome fruity nose and good hops flavor (yet not as crazy fruity as I was hoping). Mosaic again the hero shining, so I really love it as a late addition, but to get closer to the Karl Strauss, I know I will have to ramp up the 15/30min additions with Mosaic as well. Might as well give it a try, but next one in line is a Galaxy heavy DIPA for now.

Had a very light bodied Pale Ale with this hop bill:
- 0.5 oz Simcoe (13.5%) - 60min 24 IBU
- 2.5 oz Cascade (7.3%) - 5min 12.9IBU
- 2.5 oz Mosaic (12.8%) - 3min 14.2 IBU
- Total 51.1 IBU at 1.053 SG / 5.6% ABV

Wanted to explore late additions only to get a very light taste on the palate with an abundance of fruity aroma and flavor. It was a bit overboard as in awesome aroma, but lacking a bit too much on the taste side. It was a Summer Mango Pale Ale, so it was intended, but next time I would add about 1.0oz at 15 to 20min. Mosaic was definitely the star here when it comes to aroma.

The last batch was a medium strong IPA. Goal was to get only a slight smooth bitter backbone in the back and tons of aroma and flavor. Used this hop schedule:
- 0.5 oz Simocoe (13.6%) - 60min 25.2 IBU
- 0.25 oz Citra (14.0%) - 60min 13.0 IBU (that was more of an accident. Wanted 0.75 oz Simcoe)
- 0.75 oz Citra (14.0%) - 15min 19.3 IBU
- 2.00 oz Mosaic (12.8%) - 5min 18.9 IBU
- 1.50 oz Citra (14.0%) - Dry Hop
- Total 76.3 IBU at 1.065 SG / 6.8% ABV
Turned out really round and well balanced with an awesome fruity nose and good hops flavor (yet not as crazy fruity as I was hoping). Mosaic again the hero shining, so I really love it as a late addition, but to get closer to the Karl Strauss, I know I will have to ramp up the 15/30min additions with Mosaic as well. Might as well give it a try, but next one in line is a Galaxy heavy DIPA for now.

I have a really great IPA with very similar hop bill to your second one. Cant keep it on tap. I tried a version with simcoe (bittering), citra, mosaic, and galaxy then dryhopped with simcoe and citra... AMAZING

However... the orignal post has nothing to do with this. lol Its a mosaic "only" beer from KS. If you haven't had it DEFINITELY seek it out. REALLY amazing beer :mug:

Yeah, I know, I know, got carried away a bit here :D you are right. I did use Mosaic as the hero on the end, but it really is not anywhere close an all Mosaic driven beer like yours.

I definitely know the KS commercial example and love love love it! I may sometime soon actually go for something like your recipe just to drive this hops home even harder. The strong (2oz) late 5min additions really hooked me!

Alright, i modified the original recipe and have bought the grains and hops to brew it... Got rid of all the 60 min additions and increased the late additions to get desired IBU.

I also changed a couple malts because I like the malted oats. I am only adding 3% but i also changed the crystal from c10 to c20 to get the color more inline with where i feel it is at (I am at a 7srm with this recipe)...

Not sure we can really call it a true clone because i added the malted oats, but i think its gonna be amazing. Will report back with how it goes! :mug:

I got a bag of mosaic that's been in my freezer and I haven't known what to brew with it. This sounds like it! I've not had the original but maybe they'll have it Next time I'm in California adventure. Let me know what you find out I won't make for a few months.

Back