K type probe thermometer in brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccullpl

Reaction score
I've been planning to order a 10 gal brew kettle with 2 welded ports (valve and thermometer), but the more I research thermometers, the more confused I am as to what to get. It looks like getting a K type is probably the most accurate, as there are just too many negative posts about the Brewmometer type, as far as accuracy. On to my real question...I found a post with a link to a K type probe that would thread into the port on the kettle.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=165

This seems like the best of both worlds. Is there any downside?

Thanks!
Pat

Hey Pat,
A little info: Probe are referred to as temperature sensors and are used in conjunction with digital thermometers, PIDs etc. The sensor sends a very small electrical signal to the electronic device that converts the signal into something we can see. This method requires a digital device, wiring etc. to be functional.
Brewmometer is a company name for an analog thermometer that uses a spring mechanism to move the needle. Analog devices are strictly mechanical and need no external components.
In a boil kettle, the only real purpose for a temperature sensor/thermometer on a gas brew stand is to determine if the wort has been chilled enough for pitching when using an immersion chiller. If this is the case, an analog is more than up to the task.

K type refers to a type of thermocouple (one method of converting heat to an electrical signal). There are several thermocouple types. There are other temperature sensors type including RTDs thermistors, 1 wire. The selection of sensors must match the device being used to translate the signal.

If you are wanting to see the temperature only and not control it, and still want digital, a Temperature Indicating Device (TID) is all you need. Examples
Hopefully I haven't given a bunch of info you already knew.

OneHoppyGuy,

I guess my post was really vague, now that I re-read it. Yep, I'm familiar with the different types, I was just trying to keep things a little too simple. I'm mostly interested in knowing if monitoring the water/wort temp via a probe in the side of the kettle is the best way/ most accurate. I only saw one mention of using a thermocouple probe in this manner, but it seems like a pretty slick alternative to an analog dial thermometer (ie: Brewmometer).

Thanks

If you are going with a digital unit, the rtd probes are much easier to work with than k type probes. The k type probes needs special connectors and use special wire. Rtd's can use any type of connectors and standard wire.

Back