K-97 Faint Salty Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff...

Reaction score
Have any of you experienced a faint salty flavor with Fermentis Safale K-97?

Did you use any water salts? 5.2 stabilizer? What else is in this salty batch? Do you have a chihuahua? and if so, did he at any time have access to the beer when nobody was looking? Could be lots of things!

Did you use any water salts? 5.2 stabilizer? What else is in this salty batch? Do you have a chihuahua? and if so, did he at any time have access to the beer when nobody was looking? Could be lots of things!

No brewing salts or water addtions except a campden tablet to neutralize clorimine.

Here's the recipe. I can't figure out where this faint salty taste came from. Maybe from the corn flakes??? My first time brewing with corn flakes.
IMG_20200512_213802.jpg

Did you use a whole campden tablet? I think 1/4 tablet is enough for a ~6 gallon batch. It is after all sodium metabisulfite. It's been awhile since I used them but I remember what a pain it was splitting up the tablet and it crossed my mind a few times just to drop in a whole one though I never actually did.

On second thought, if it is anything like kosher salt in its saltiness, the tiny little tablet shouldn't add enough sodium to affect the flavor.

I've used K-97 and I like it, but never got " salty ". How sure are you that the flavour you are tasting is salty? Do you know your water composition?

Did you use a whole campden tablet? I think 1/4 tablet is enough for a ~6 gallon batch. It is after all sodium metabisulfite. It's been awhile since I used them but I remember what a pain it was splitting up the tablet and it crossed my mind a few times just to drop in a whole one though I never actually did.

On second thought, if it is anything like kosher salt in its saltiness, the tiny little tablet shouldn't add enough sodium to affect the flavor.

I brew with my "city" water all the time and add a campden tablet, it's actually potassium metabisulfite. I add it to the kettle water used to heat my strike and hot liquor. I've not had any salty flavor before.

The recipe has two new ingredients to me corn flakes and K-97. It's not a bad beer at all. It just took me by surprise with that faint salty flavor, trying to pinpoint the source.

I've used K-97 and I like it, but never got " salty ". How sure are you that the flavour you are tasting is salty? Do you know your water composition?

It's most definitely a slight salty flavor. I do not know my water chemistry, other than my "city" water is deep well sourced, treated with clorimine. If I don't treat it with potassium metabisulfite it produces a dead batch, yeast won't ferment in it.

I'm no water scientist... I turn on the faucet, it comes out and i.pay the bill every month for the privilege. The water tastes good other than the clorimine. I've read you can't boil clorimine away, like you can with chlorine.

I'm not dising on K-97 at all. I actually enjoyed brewing with it. It produced a tall creamy krosen, that I havested a little of, all clean and sterlize of course. It also had a short lag and once it got rolling, it plowed through the wort like a raped ape. K-97 is most definitely a yeast I will use again.

I'm not dising on K-97 at all. I actually enjoyed brewing with it. It produced a tall creamy krosen, that I havested a little of, all clean and sterlize of course. It also had a short lag and once it got rolling, it plowed through the wort like a raped ape. K-97 is most definitely a yeast I will use again.
I had to google that strain, I'm a liquid yeast brewer but your description was pretty entertaining... I might order a packet and give it a shot.

Can you link or post the recipe you used to brew this salty son of a batch?

I had to google that strain, I'm a liquid yeast brewer but your description was pretty entertaining... I might order a packet and give it a shot.

Can you link or post the recipe you used to brew this salty son of a batch?

It's a self created recipe, let me gather my notes... The grain bill and hop additions I posted above. But I will get fermention temps and times for you also.

@Jayjay1976

Here is the recipe, 6 gallon batch. 80% efficiency, all grain Briess. Yeast 1 package Fermentis Safale K-97 sprinkled over top the wort, no starter.
IMG_20200512_213802.jpg

Mash schedule
IMG_20200512_230046.jpg

Post boil wort gravity 1.048
IMG_20200321_152114042.jpg

I fermented @ 60F 1 week, racked & secondary fermention 2 weeks @ 60F. Then then racked and kegged with 30 PSI and lagered 6 weeks @ 35 degrees.

Finished beer, 1.010 final gravity or around 4.99 ABV.
IMG_20200420_143931.jpg

Let me know if I'm missing any info...

Edit... Forgot to mention it krosened high, creamy thick. I had this 6 gallon batch in a 8 gallon fermention bucket and still needed a blowoff tube.

Last edited:
No, but I do get quite a yeasty flavor even after months of aging.
Is this stuff that slow to drop out? Kind of like Wy1007? I love that yeast, but it's so annoying waiting for the beer to clear, even with a floating dip tube.

Dave do you always get a yeasty flavor from K-97? I can't say I have gotten Yeasty or Salty except when I use it to make a Gose then it is salty of course.

Is this stuff that slow to drop out? Kind of like Wy1007? I love that yeast, but it's so annoying waiting for the beer to clear, even with a floating dip tube.

My experience with this one brew only. Yes... K-97 even after 2 weeks in secondary and 6 weeks of lagering @35 degrees the yeast is still suspended a little and makes a slightly cloudy beer. I haven't tried any finning, filtering or potassium sorbate though to try and clean it up.

My experience with this one brew only. Yes... K-97 even after 2 weeks in secondary and 6 weeks of lagering @35 degrees the yeast is still suspended a little and makes a slightly cloudy beer. I haven't tried any finning, filtering or potassium sorbate though to try and clean it up.
Well how annoying. Sounds the same as Wy1007 then. That stuff takes months to drop bright. I haven't used gelatin in years, I guess I could try it again. Not wild on the idea though as I have a bit of an aversion to putting something that smells the way it does in my beer.

It clears after a few weeks, not a real big deal. EDIT: Well, I *do* add gelatin so maybe that was the key. But I do have a Kolsch with K-97 currently on hand that I brewed maybe 3 months ago. Clear as crystal.... but STILL tastes yeasty. Maybe I'm just being picky. It's not a bad beer... but it's also not a great beer.

@dpeters , I've only used it just this one time so far. So, YMMV.

Last edited:
It clears after a few weeks, not a real big deal. EDIT: Well, I *do* add gelatin so maybe that was the key. But I do have a Kolsch with K-97 currently on hand that I brewed maybe 3 months ago. Clear as crystal.... but STILL tastes yeasty. Maybe I'm just being picky. It's not a bad beer... but it's also not a great beer.

@dpeters , I've only used it just this one time so far. So, YMMV.

My personal opinion... In order to rid the beer of K-97. I think I would add the recommended dosing of postasium sorbate, wait about a week then carefully rack or maybe even filter. But that's just me thinking...

I have used Grape Nuts and it turned out great. However I also used distilled water since I knew that cereals contain a lot of salts.

Seriously now? You know someone is going to ask for grape nuts recipe. My nuts generally shrivel up to about the size of large grapes when I get in cold water.

It is possible it has nothing to do with the yeast and may have been a mashing or grain issue. I personally would not hesitate to use gelatin if clear beer was needed. Gelatin works really good and does not add any off flavor whatsoever.

It is possible it has nothing to do with the yeast and may have been a mashing or grain issue. I personally would not hesitate to use gelatin if clear beer was needed. Gelatin works really good and does not add any off flavor whatsoever.

I only have a couple more pours left in the keg. I plan on brewing again but I think I'll use Fermentis Safale S-04 for the next brew.

From the Wyeast site: Frequently Asked Questions | Wyeast Laboratories

8. My beer is not clearing, what is wrong with my yeast?
Many times protein haze may be mistaken for non-flocculating yeast. First confirm that it is yeast in suspension and not protein by performing a Haze Test.

Haze Determination Test:

Decant 50 mL of hazy beer into a clear sample container. Add 2 mL caustic (40-50%). Shake. If beer turns clear, the problem is protein in suspension. If beer remains cloudy, yeast is still in suspension. Flocculation and clarification are very complex. Many times clarification problems have nothing to do with the yeast, but instead with the environment that the yeast is in. Yeast will flocculate and sediment given time unless something inhibits this. A combination of environmental factors including pH, alcohol content, temperature, sugar concentration, and ion content can negatively affect flocculation and sedimentation. Environmental conditions will affect the flocculation abruptly, showing large differences in subsequent fermentations. It is also possible for yeast to mutate to a less flocculent form. This is usually a very gradual process, over the course of many generations. Every time a brewer harvests their yeast, they have the opportunity to select for a slightly different population. Over a number of generations, the population can show a change in flocculation and thus probably population. It is important for the brewer to try to harvest yeast from the same area in the fermenter to minimize possible changes. (See section on Harvesting)

Back