Just wanted to say hello...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaossmixer54

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

I'm new to the community and I thought I would say hello and share some of my experience from my first time brewing. I started off with the Northern Brewer Deluxe kit and opted for the Caribou Slobber option. I bought a 24 quart aluminum brew kettle off Amazon and was ready to go. During the oxidizing of my brew kettle, I had trouble maintaining temperatures of due to not having bought a lid for the pot. (a downside to going the cost-effective route) However, I did have a couple old flat baking sheets that I was able to use as a make shift lid. (see pics)

This worked rather well during my brewing process. The nice thing that I experienced with this alternative, was that I was able to slide the two sheets apart, exposing an adjustable window to view the brewing wort. I was able to add ingredients, take temperatures, watch for boil over, and maintain temperatures. I later noticed that I was able to put the thermometer into the small holes in the baking sheet, minding to be careful not to snap the thermometer, and check temps without removing the lid. This was just nice, as I didn't have to have the condensation from the lid go everywhere each time either.

Any who, I'm sure this isn't anything ground breaking by any means but it was a nice "quick fix" to the issue and I not only had success with this method, but noticed a few little perks as well.

...Since my initial brewing, I've also brewed a batch of Bavarian Hefeweizen, which seems to be going very well in the primary, as there are plenty of bubbles coming out of the 3-piece.

Happy to join such an interesting, fun, and knowledgeable community. Cheers!

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

Back